Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Round-up: Hay Hay It's Donna Day #2 - Macaroons

Image hosting by Photobucket

Hay Hay It's Donna Day #2 - Lime Macaroons round-up is finally out. In honour of Donna Hay, I would like to feature her Lime Macaroons (the above photo) as an opening for the round-up. For your info, these lovelies are made by Barbara from winosandfoodies the founder of Hay Hay It's Donna Day event.

How to VOTE for the winner...

For those who hadn't been following, participants are challenged to make Donna's Lime Macaroons but to replace the key ingredient, which is lime zest, with the ingredients of their choice. The winner of this event will walk away with a set of made in Japan cookie cutters and he/she will get to host the next Hay Hay It's Donna Day event.

How is the winner determined? Well, this is your part. Kindly go through the below round-up and vote for only ONE of your favourite macaroons recipe by sending an e-mail to
hayhaydonnaday@yahoo.com. As a reminder, please do the judging based on the criteria of cuteness and best recipe. Voting is open to all bloggers and readers (but please do not vote for yourself ;p). Kindly send in your votes by 7 February 2006 and the winner will be announced after that.

Lastly, I would also like to thank everybody for their macaroon entries. I can see that everyone has really put in a lot of effort to come up with these masterpeices. This is going to be a tough competition and I'm just glad I'm not the judge. Anyway, please drop me a mail if I happen to miss your entry. Without further delay, here goes the round-up in alphabetical order...

Anne from Anne's Food gave us her version of Donna's macaroons by adding lime and orange zest into the recipe. She calls them Coconut Macaroons with Lime and Orange. She added that the macaroons taste best straight from the oven. Mmmm... I could almost smell the freshly baked macaroons by just looking at the photo. They look so delicious and I really envy Anne...


Baking Soda from Bake My Day is offering 2 delicious entries called Almond Expresso Macaroons and Rum Coconut Macaroons. I am especially drawn to his/her Almond Expresso Macaroons as Almond and Expresso sounds like such a great combination! Great effort for someone who's new to the world of food blog events! Also, thanks for sharing the interesting information about macaroons with us baking Soda.


Caroline from Bibliocook made some delicious Chocolate Almond Macaroons. Despite her humble description about how the macaroons look I would simply love to give her recipe a try one day. They look so light, crispy and oh-so nice!


Stephanie, our regular blog party hostess from Dispensing Happiness used raspberry candy flavouring to come up with these great looking Raspberry Macaroons. For the filling she used white chocolate tinted with pink and sandwich the macaroons together. Lovely combination. Thanks for taking the time and effort to participate in this event Stephanie. I really appreciate it!


The Chef-girl, Paige made such decent looking Ginger Macaroons! When I first looked at the pile of macaroons in the photo, I can't help but think in my heart that these are such beautiful and proper looking macaroons. Paige says the ginger is to give the macaroons a nice bite and that it works really well with the sweetness of the coconut. Thanks for sharing Paige!

Haalo from Cook (Almost) Anything At Least Once is offering 2 entries for this event. They are Vanilla Bean Paste Macaroons and Dark Chocolate and Orange Macaroons. Both types looking lovely and scrumptious. I was particularly drawn to her chocolate heart shaped macaroons which I think is rather appropriate for the season (since Valentine's day is coming soon)... how romantic!

Cyndi from Cookin' with Cyndi made some lovely pink coloured macaroons that she calls Pretty in Pink Macaroons. Say, there was an 80's movie that go by this title. I guess she must be refering this movie. Such a sweet name for a macaroon. Anyway Pink is my favourite colour. I can't help but wonder if Cyndi purposely made them pink to please Glutton Rabbit ;p?


WCB Clare from Eatstuff made some interesting Ruby Red Grapefruit and Lime macaroons. With her creative flair she shaped and decorated the macaroons into cute looking bunnies. Truly a work of an artist! Clare said the bunnies were actually inspired by Glutton Rabbit. Awww... that makes a bunny feel so proud! Hop-hop-hop! Thanks Clare for the thought and effort! I envy your cat Kiri, I wonder if she gets to eat the macaroons?


Bron of Green Eggs and Spam is offering a unique entry of Wasabi and Black Sesame Macaroons. Well done Bron. The idea has a Japanese touch and it sounds very adventurous and well as original. Do you consider marketing your product in New Zealand one day?


Rob and Rachel of Hungry in Hogtown is offering 3 exquisite macaroons recipe. They are Homemade Banana Rum Ice Cream Sandwiched Between Lime Macaroons, Preserved Ginger Macaroons and Dried Apricots Soaked In Earl Grey Tea Macaroons. Very elaborate and sophisticated reicpes. The idea of sandwiching ice-cream between macaroons sounds fabulous! I find myself craving for one now...


Swee San from Just Heavenly is also offering 3 fantastic macaroon entries. They are Chocolate Macaroons, Cherry Macaroons and Cinnamon and Honey Macaroons. All of them looks so irresistable. I just love the way Swee San presented her macaroons in little cupcake cups. Very pretty indeed!


To suit the Chinese New year mood, the talented Boolicious of Masak-masak came up a delicious concoction of Mandarin Orange Macaroons. These elegant looking macaroons are topped with mandarin orange curd, decorated with mandarin orange segment and sugared mint leaf. What a superb way of presenting macaroons.


Tami from Running with Tweezers don't make macaroons that often but when she does, she just want to do it right. Meet the essence of macaroons - the killer 'Moundaroons'! What an appropriate title and name. I almost fell off my chair when I saw these gorgeous macaroons. Great stuff Tami!


Jennifer from Taste Everything Once made us some mouth watering Lemongrass Macaroons. In this recipe, she substituted lime zest with lemongrass puree. I use a lot of lemongrass in my cooking but I didn't know lemongrass could be used as an ingredient in desserts. Wow. This is an eye opener for me! And these macaroons look exceptional...


Rachel from Thamjiak came up with two wonderful macaroons recipe. One is Lemon Macaroons and the other Pandan Gula Melaka (Screwpine and palm sugar) Macaroons both which sounds truly delicious! Rachel, I would love sample those Pandan and Gula Melaka Macaroons (that is if you have any left)! The concoction sounds really Malaysian. Great idea!


Mia from The Skinny Epicurean made us some cute and roundish Lime Macaroons. The macaroons really reminds me of adorable little hedgehogs marching on the baking tray. Though as cute as they may be, I would love it if these hedgehogs could then march into my mouth and then into my tummy!


Last but certainly not least, I would like to close this round-up with the entry from the originator of Hay hay It's Donna Day event. The lovely Barbara from winosandfoodies also made us some gorgeous looking Lime Macaroons (photo is also featured above). I really admire the round flat shape of the macaroons and the way she composed the photo by stacking the macaroons into an elegant tower. Wonderful work Barbara and thanks again for making this event possible!

15 Comments:

Anonymous rob said...

Just wanted to thank you for all the effort you've put into the event. The post looks great.

By the way, did you mean to say the deadline for votes is February 7, not January 7?

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Anonymous Clare Eats said...

Great round up!

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Rob,
Thanks a lot! I've corrected the dates. Phew! Or else a lot of people are gonna get confuse...

Clare,
Thank you! I'm glad you like it.

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Blogger Lucia Lai said...

wow! all the macaroons look so cute and i'm sure taste wonderful. too many good ones, don't know how to vote! :)

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Anonymous tami said...

thanks for such a great roundup and for hosting the event :))

Tuesday, 31 January, 2006  
Anonymous Barbara said...

Well done GR. A great round up of amazing entries.

Wednesday, 01 February, 2006  
Blogger K & S said...

I've tried to send you an email to vote, but my email was sent back. Any reason why?
This is the address I sent it to:
hayhaydonnaday@yahoo.com

Wednesday, 01 February, 2006  
Blogger Baking Soda said...

Thank you for hosting Glutton Rabbit, beautiful round-up and such lovely entries!

Wednesday, 01 February, 2006  
Blogger Bron said...

great job glutton rabbit! :)

Wednesday, 01 February, 2006  
Anonymous Marie-Laure said...

They are beautiful !

Wednesday, 01 February, 2006  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai Rabbit! Thanks for the lovely round up.

Thursday, 02 February, 2006  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Hi all!
Thanks for your support and for the kind compliments!

Kat & Satoshi,
The e-mail is correct. Please try to re-send. Alternately you may send to gluttonisland@yahoo.com.

Boo,
Happy Chinese New Year to you, Splashie and Boo the cat ;p

Thursday, 02 February, 2006  
Blogger hinata said...

Funny, I just chanced upon your site and I made Donna Hay macaroons last week too! Won't submit my humble photo but happy if you could stop by my blog :) Would love to be included for the next Donna Day!

Wednesday, 08 February, 2006  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Hello hinata!
You have a nice blog. I saw the photos of your macaroons. They are really lovely! Just too bad you found out about this site a little too late... but you're always welcomed to join the next Hay Hay It's Donna Day. Keep a look out for it. It'll be hosted by Clare from http://eatstuff.net/.

Saturday, 11 February, 2006  
Blogger Amin Zaki said...

I'm really interested to buy macaroons, can you help me, I just want to know where is the place to but the macaroons, this is my email for your reply- decoz88@gmail.com

Sunday, 26 June, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home