Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Hay Hay It's Donna Day #2 - Macaroons

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Hay! Hay! It’s Donna Day again! If you recall, in the first event we made some yummy self-frosting cupcakes with Nuttella topping. And this time, it will all be about making macaroons. Special thanks to Barbara (the originator of this event) from winosandfoodies for giving me the opportunity to host this wonderful event which is dedicated to Donna Hay…

Who is Donna Hay?
I had also asked this question a few months ago. Well, Donna is a famous cook and food stylist from Australia. She has her own magazine and wrote a bunch of cookbooks sold worldwide. Many equate Donna with Martha Steward and such like celebrities. Read Nic of Bakingsheet's eloquent description about Donna or go to Donna’s website to find out more about her…

Honestly, I didn’t think much about Donna at first but I totally changed my perception towards her after I received the first edition of Donna Hay magazine from Barbara. Believe me, if you enjoy cooking great stuffs minus the fuss, Donna’s definitely your kind of gal and I am now her new fan. Yeah!

How to participate in this event?
Flipping through the first edition of Donna Hay Magazine, I came across a recipe called Lime Macaroons on page 126. I was amazed by the simplicity of this recipe and therefore decided to use it for this event as I feel it may appeal to everyone out there – especially those who are busy and yet itching to bake. Here’s the recipe…

Lime Macaroons
2 cups desiccated coconut
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1 ½ tablespoon shredded lime zest (** replace this with your own ingredient)

Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Place the coconut, sugar, egg whites and lime zest in a bowl and mix to combine. Roll the mixture into balls. Place on a lined baking tray, flatten slightly and cook for 10-12 minutes or until light golden. Serve with coffee. Makes 15.

Rabbit's note: I normally use tracing or parchment paper to line the baking tray. For those who are planning to do so, my advise is to grease it generously and maybe sprinkle on a little flour to avoid the macaroons from sticking to the paper. Also, flatten the macaroons a little more if you want a crunchier result...

Follow the above recipe but replace lime zest with the ingredient/s of your choice. For example, I used lemon zest (above first photo). Use your creativity and cooking skills to come up with a delicious recipe and cute looking macaroons. Then, just put up your recipe along with the photo on your blog (or site) anytime from 22 – 24 January ’06. Once you’re done, don’t forget to drop me an e-mail at
hayhaydonnaday@yahoo.com so that I can do a round up of everyone’s macaroons the on week after that.

What’s the prize?
Judging will be based on the best recipe and cuteness of macaroons (Glutton Rabbit loves cute things). But I won’t be judge. I will let you (dear bloggers and readers) be the judges. Once the round up is out, there will be a week of voting and the winner will be announced after that. A little reminder, please don’t vote for yourself though…

I wish I had something more Donna Hay-ish to give away but I don’t. The winner will walk away with a set of cute made in Japan transportation themed cookie cutters from my private collection : ))). Not only that, he or she will also gain the popularity from all nations and get to host the 3rd Hay! Hay! It’s Donna Day! event. So, what are you waiting for? Start making those macaroons!

17 Comments:

Blogger boo_licious said...

Those are lovely macaroons Rabbit! Will definitely give them a try.

Sunday, 08 January, 2006  
Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

lets see, maybe tomorrow i will try the macaroons. Never try baking them b4. Thanx for tips and site to Donna Hay

Sunday, 08 January, 2006  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

hehee..
luckily im eating now :P

Monday, 09 January, 2006  
Anonymous Rorie said...

Beautiful macaroons!

Tuesday, 10 January, 2006  
Anonymous Clare Eats said...

Oh! They look yummy!!!

and those are the cutest cookie cutters!

Tuesday, 10 January, 2006  
Blogger Sasha said...

I am new to these food events, but macaroons excite me! My mind is teeming with ideas!

Tuesday, 10 January, 2006  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Boo,
Thank you. I wonder what you have up your sleeve this time ;p. Anyway, I can't wait to see those macaroons!

Food-man,
Yeah! I'm glad you want to try the recipe. Go sifu!

Jelly,
Ehh? You changed your site and icon photo. You look so melodrama. I can't help but laugh. Hope you're not offended. BTW, wanna join Hay Hay It's Donna Day or not? Very easy recipe...

Rorie,
Thanks! Try it. It's really easy to make : )...

Clare,
Hi! Thanks for dropping by Kiri's mummy ; ). Yup, the cookie cutters are a bunch of cuties aren't they?

Sasha,
Thanks for dropping by. Can't wait to see those macaroons. I'm sure they'll be great!

Tuesday, 10 January, 2006  
Blogger babe_kl said...

yikes, i wonder if i have time!

Wednesday, 11 January, 2006  
Blogger rokh said...

i must join in. it is so simple yet yours look really delish. hehe

Thursday, 12 January, 2006  
Blogger Bron said...

This looks like a great "food blog event" to start out on - since I'm new to all this too, only discovering you all a couple of days ago I'm a tad nervous.
Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! :)

Thursday, 12 January, 2006  
Anonymous swee said...

wow, this is cool !! macaroons.. i've never tried them before.. maybe this is the right time.. ehheeh..

Friday, 13 January, 2006  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Babe,
It would be great if you can join in!

Rachel,
I Can't wait to see your entry!

Bron,
Don't be nervous, I'm sure you'll do well. I'll be waiting ; ). Yeah me too, can't wait to see everyone's entry.

Swee,
Yup! Sure is the right time. You can serve some for Chinese New Year : ))

Saturday, 21 January, 2006  
Blogger Cyndi said...

Mine just came out of the oven! I'll take a pic, and post later today! I have to take the pic quit, before DH and I eat them all.

Monday, 23 January, 2006  
Blogger obachan said...

Those macaroons are so cute and I love the pink plate, too.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. Now I know what I can do when I have some egg whites left. :)

Wednesday, 25 January, 2006  
Blogger fatboybakes said...

aiya, i missed the boat oridi. i also want to try!! hey, that issue of donnay hay magazine, you mean that's the first ever issue? wow. but the latest one doesnt seem so interesting. is it worth getting? she's great, i have virtually all her books, and many of the magazines. her classics 2 is a must have.

Thursday, 26 January, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Domin8 MySpace with unique myspace layouts. Check out www.domin8myspace.com

Monday, 07 May, 2007  
Blogger SimeonKai1922 imf64b said...

myspace tutorials and huge profile customizations.

Friday, 11 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home