Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Hansl - One Price All (OPA) Retail at Gurney Plaza, Penang

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Happy New Year 2006 dear readers! Today marks the first day of the new year and I’m glad my little blog has survived so far despite my busy working schedule. But let’s see how everything turns out this year.

I will also be hosting the Hay! Hay! It’s Donna Day event this month and will be posting up more info about it later on once Barbara (the originator of this event) from WinosandFoodies agree with the details. So, I hope you guys will stay tuned and support Glutton Rabbit in this event. The recipe is really a piece of cake. Easy-peasy guaranteed and there is a mystery prize to be won too!

Anyway, back to the main topic. Whenever I visit Gurney Plaza, I never fail to visit a little shop called Hansl or OPA. OPA stands for ‘one price all’. This concept is similar to the Japanese’s 100 yen shop which sells various kinds of items at 100 yen each. As for this shop, most of the items are sold at RM 6.

Hansl sells all kinds of household utensils like cutleries, dish wares, moulds, plastic containers and such like goods (including some foodstuffs like instant ramen). The shop also sells decorative items and stationery. The products are also mostly imported from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Canada and Japan.

I often find little treasures in Hansl. This is the place where one can get all kinds of Japanese rice mould (e.g. onigiri or nigiri mould), bento box, bowls, sushi tray and other serving wares at very affordable prices.

Last week, I bought a few items from Hansl. I bought a little Japanese dish and a dipping bowl with an attractive plum blossom motive (above photo). The dish cost only RM 4 whereas the bowl RM 6. I also bought a Japanese tea cup with a matching cherry blossom shaped saucer. The tea cup cost RM 3 and the saucer RM 2. Although the products where made in China, but I was satisfied with the workmanship and design. I was eager to part with my money to get these items and was really proud of my buy.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Japanese sakura tea cup set...

If you’re interested to visit the place, Hansl is located at the basement of Gurney Plaza (same floor with the foodcourt) in between the Seoul Garden and Thai Express…

Hansl, OPA Retail (M) Sdn Bhd
170-B1-32B, Plaza Gurney,
10250 Penang,
Telephone & Fax: 04 - 226 8311

8 Comments:

Blogger day-dreamer said...

Yay! First comment...

Nice cutlery... cute!

Monday, 02 January, 2006  
Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

wow! dats dirt cheap and the item are cute and nice. Well done rabbit.

Monday, 02 January, 2006  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Yes, nice stuff. How I wish we had something like this in KL. I finally did the meme. Thanks for being so patient with me.

Wednesday, 04 January, 2006  
Blogger Penang Podcast said...

so nice items. I will go there when I visit to gurney.

Wednesday, 04 January, 2006  
Anonymous Rorie said...

LOVE the pink cup & saucer! Happy New Year, too!

Friday, 06 January, 2006  
Anonymous Barbara said...

GR - did you get my email saying your plans sound fine to me?

Friday, 06 January, 2006  
Blogger Chen said...

visited that shop few times already in the past, and bought some stuffs as well :)

Saturday, 07 January, 2006  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Dreamer,
Congratulations! Haha... cute-leh, why don't you buy some to serve potato bread and tang yuan?

Food-sifu,
Cheap hor? I really like that shop. I must (like addiction) visit it everytime I go to Gurney Plaza...

Boo,
Thanks for doing the Meme. I will go and have a look at it soon. Don't feel bad, I still owe greenapple one Meme since new year loh... oh I should feel more guilty...

Penang Podcast,
Great! Hope you'll find all the bowls and dishes you want : )... really love the place.

Rorie,
Thanks. You're back from San Francisco?Happy new year to you too!

Barbara,
Yes, I got it and have just replied it. Sorry for the delay...
Donna Day is all set to roll today : )

Doc,
Wah! You seem to know good places in Penang too... haha. Not bad ;p

Saturday, 07 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home