Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Friday, January 13, 2006

Childhood Food Memories Meme

Many weeks ago, I've been tagged by Greenapple from My Felicity Corner to do a cute little Meme about one's childhood favourite food. Though as cute and interesting as this Meme sounds, Glutton Rabbit delayed and delayed in doing so. To make things worse, she even let it drag it over the new year and now she feels terribly guilty. My sincere apology to Greenapple for this misbehaviour. Please find below is the Meme that I promised to do...

Oh my! How time flies. Now I’m a grown up and in this is really a nostalgic Meme. I have many childhood memory foods but I manage to list a few of them…

Satay
I simply adore satay when I was a kid. Maybe this was because we don’t get to eat this food very often. Satay was only served during special occasions like birthdays or barbecues. What attracts me most about satay is the fragrant smell of tumeric powder and the sweet taste of the grilled meat. My mom used to prepare satay at home for our own barbecues. I cherish the memories of helping my mom skewer pieces of marinated meats onto bamboo skewers and helping dad to grill the satay on a makeshift barbecue pit.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

As a child, satay are irresistable!

Indomie Goreng
Indomie's Mi Goreng (fried noodles flavour) is one of my favourite instant noodles as a kid and even today. Way back then, I was really impressed on how one can actually get fried noodles just by boiling the noodles in some water, drain and mixing it with seasoning. Although there are many brands of dry style instant noodles today, I still think Indomie Goreng rules supreme in the hearts (and tummies) of many Malaysians… don’t you agree?

Ice-pong or Pop-Ice
Another food I recalled eating as a child are ice-pongs or pop-ice. Ice-pongs are basically fruit juices filled into thin long plastic containers then frozen till hard. It only cost 10 cent each last time. There is a little dent in the middle of the ice-pong where you can break it in two. It’s quite an economical treat. Me and my brother would often buy one and share it between us.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ice-pong... almost every kiddy's favourite back then...

Currypuffs
I love the currypuffs sold at a special stall in my hometown, Alor Setar. You can still find the stall today at Jalan Pintu Sepuluh (known as ‘sin lor’ in Hokkien) opposite the Sentosa shopping complex at Jalan Putra but I heard that it doesn’t taste as good as it used to be. My dad used to get these for us as a supper treat. I love the taste of the curried potatoes filling inside the currypuffs. Really soft and nice in contrast to the crunchy currypuff skin or crust...

Chocolates
Chocolate is another one of my childhood favourites. I used to love chocolate covered almonds and hazelnuts a lot. As a kid, I was easily impressed by the packaging of the chocolates, especially the ones that comes in rectangular shaped tin boxes. I would eye the box from time to time like an eagle and when we have finished the chocolate, I would beg mom if I could have the box to play ‘masak-masak’ or keep stickers. But most of the time, mom would keep it for her own use. Maybe she finds the box attractive too ;p…

Anyway, those were the memories I had about some of my favourite childhood foods. *Sigh* I had a really nostalgic time thinking and writing all these. Once again, I would like to thank Greenapple for giving me the chance to look back in time to the food I once loved. By the way, I don’t want to tag anybody this time. Instead, I’ll open this Meme to volunteers. Dear bloggers out there, just let me know if you’d love take on this Meme!

11 Comments:

Blogger NKW said...

yummy... love satays all my life... but how come i dun really think of it when im at the hawker stalls... will only think of it after finishing my meal

indomie... ermm... i actually stay away from those already. have consumed too much of that. haiss.. hostel life.. ;(

popice.. yeah!! rules... but quite gross thinking of it.. especially when u bite the plastic... havent had it for years liao

currypuff.. love it lots. especially those big 1s... with red onion shavings :)

chocolates.. i still eat them now... :)

Saturday, 14 January, 2006  
Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

hmmm......i think there is more, rabbit.....dont believe your childhood food is so little. Food like porridge, tau u bak, etc.


hehehehehehehe!

Saturday, 14 January, 2006  
Blogger Chen said...

When I was small time, the type of satay that I used to eat is the one available in the sundry shop, came in packet of 20; the triangular-shaped satay at the price of 10 cent per stick :)

Regarding the ice-pong, I remember one of the similar ice cream which is home-made.. filling up the long plastic bag with orang juice and putting one piece of assam or sui boey at the end of the tube.. yummy :)

Sunday, 15 January, 2006  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

wahahaha...
now each description in meme got pics :P

Monday, 16 January, 2006  
Blogger J said...

great post! thanks for sharing...

Monday, 16 January, 2006  
Anonymous Rorie said...

Great post! Curry Puffs???!!! They sound delicious!

Tuesday, 17 January, 2006  
Blogger rokh said...

naughty me had tagged you for another meme! hope you don't mind!

Wednesday, 18 January, 2006  
Blogger Penang Podcast said...

Penang Blogger CNY Gathering. If you are interested, pls visit, http://xiaoaojianghu.wordpress.com/2006/01/20/%e6%a7%9f%e5%9f%8e%e5%8d%9a%e5%ae%a2%ef%bc%88%e9%83%a8%e8%90%bd%e5%ae%a2%ef%bc%89%e6%96%b0%e6%98%a5%e6%ac%a2%e9%9b%86%e4%bc%9a/
or contact me for further information.

Friday, 20 January, 2006  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

nkw,
Satay... satay... delicious, juicy grilled meat... tasty... satay... I am now hypnotizing you to eat satay so next time you'll order some at the hawker ;p...

food-sifu,
Honestly, yes there are more childhood foods. But I kinda dislike tau u bak-lah... I hate pui bak one...

Doc,
I have tried those home made ice cream in long plastic bags before! My primary school canteen used to sell those... *sigh* I'm so old ready now...

Jelly,
Surelah got pic... want to make post more interesting mah ;p...

J,
Thanks and thanks for dropping by.

Rorie,
Thanks. Well curry puffs are really delicious!! They are still one of my favourites today...

Rachel,
Oh no... naughty naughty. I guess I have to 'hutang' you on this for a while... hope you don't mind.

Penang Podcast,
Thanks for the invitation... I'll put up a post on this later ; )

Saturday, 21 January, 2006  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Penang Podcast,
Sorry, I don't read Chinese :p. Could you kindly send me the permalink and provide some details about the gathering so that I can put it up in my blog? Thanks!

Saturday, 21 January, 2006  
Anonymous mens health said...

Hello nice blog my friend.. its really great to see that you have a great talent in you.i work on kamagra . keep it up...

Monday, 01 August, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home