Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Friday, December 16, 2005

A Little Comfort in the Night

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Warning: This post is a bit on the melodrama side. If you easily get sick at such things, please do not continue reading…

These few days, my little brain had been working overtime. After my presentation, I was greeted by some unexpected news. Good or bad? Well, I don’t know. It was good to hear that the boss was happy with my work but because of this, more trainings, projects and challenges await me next year… which means less time for blogging and cooking… : (

I guess being a professional cook will stay as a dream for at least another few years. A lot of people ask me to pursue my dream and I would like to do it but I am not a rich Rabbit that's all I can say...

I was thinking about all these things while walking back to the car park after having dinner at some hawker stalls at Batu Lanchang. The night was really dark and quiet despite some cars passing by with headlights shining. The atmosphere really reflected my dull mood.

As I walked, I saw some fluorescent lights glowing by the corner of the street. A little cart stall was selling something outside some flats which stood behind a market. I hopped over to have a look. A lady was selling steamed ground nuts and chickpeas, which as a popular snack of yester years. I decided to buy a bag of each since it was hard to come by such stalls nowadays.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The lady at her stall selling steamed ground nuts and chickpeas...

Still gloomy, I munched on some warm chickpeas as I walked towards the car. The chickpeas were nice and soft. I decided to try some of the ground nuts. They were good too. They don’t make steamed ground nuts like these anymore, I thought.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steamed chickpeas, piled up in a mountain... healthy stuffs...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Steamed ground nuts in a basket, soft and sweet. Cost RM 2 for a bag of 'em...

I felt a bit better after snacking but I can that tell my dilemma is not over. Mood swings do effect my cooking. I can’t cook when I’m feeling down… which reminds me, Virtual Blog Party is due tomorrow. Let’s see how my cooking will turn out this time…

9 Comments:

Blogger Sam I Am said...

Yummy,
We came across your blog .AWESOME
stuff. I am very hungry now .Thank you for sharing .Happy Holidays .

Saturday, 17 December, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

At least, u should be happy cos your boss is satisfied or happy with your work. Well, u can always find time to blog or cook sometime later on in the future, right? since u have already made up your mind and not planning to give up your job to pursue your dream at the moment.

Saturday, 17 December, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

yalor

i agree with chen

Saturday, 17 December, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Be happy and look at the bright side since it means more opportunities within your job.

Sunday, 18 December, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Hi Sam,
Thanks for dropping by. Blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too!

Doc Chen,
Thanks for the advise. You're right... I should focus on what is priority. Blog is just a hobby.
I really appreciate your advise cos it's like a prescription from a doctor. Haha, take medication and sickness get better...

Jelly,
Follow Chen? But you not doctor wor.. how can you follow? Hehe...
Eat bak chang lah hor? If not feel better then eat lulian then all problem will go away...

Boo,
Thanks... hey, really envy you! You're such a great food blogger...

Sunday, 18 December, 2005  
Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Well, I guess that we all have our difficult and gloomy moments of disilusion, but, hey, life goes on and we have to see the positive aspects of life!!!
Well, I hope you do feel better now...
Anyway, your blog is great, so even if you can't really follow your dream, this is already a big step in that direction!!!

Sunday, 18 December, 2005  
Blogger Greenapple said...

i miss this steam nuts too ... i am glad that they still exists. it is indeed something hard to find nowadays. i remembered i would have them whenever i was on the way to Genting. Half way on the hill, there would be stalls which sell this product. Not anymore, apparently.

as for your culinary dreams and feelings, by all means, you can share your emotions with your readers ... this is a place for you to jot these dreams down, even if it is not feasible at your current moments ...

Monday, 19 December, 2005  
Blogger day-dreamer said...

Perhaps what you are going through right now is a blessing in disguise. Look up! There will be sunshine tomorrow morning.

By the way, yeah, it's really hard to find these stalls nowadays. But my mom does steam chick peas for us every now and then.

Wednesday, 21 December, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Rosa,
Thanks for your words of comfort. Yes, I feel a little better now...

Greenapple,
Thanks. You're really nice. Alor Setar people are always warm and friendly ;p...

Dreamer,
I was thinking that it may be a blessing in disguise too. I looking forward to the sunshine next year! Thanks for the lil advise, hey you're not bad kid...

Friday, 23 December, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home