Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Blog Party #5: Vegas, Baby! - Unagi & Ebiko Sushi

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Hooray-hooray! The monthly Virtual Blog Party is here again and thanks to the ever wonderful hostess, Stephanie from Dispensing Happiness, the theme for the month of December is, 'Vegas, Baby!' or in other words, give in and indulge! What a great way to celebrate the closing of the year 2005!

At first, I couldn't decide what to indulge in. There are so many choices of rich and tempting food but finally I decided to make unagi (grilled freshwater eel - above picture) and ebiko (fish roe) sushi which are considered as rather luxurious grub over here. Happily I went shopping at Meijiya, the Japanese grocery store at Jalan Kelawei situated beside Mobile gas station. It was drizzling and there were some Japanese customers chatting away about something. For a moment, I really thought that I was in Japan.

I love to go to Meijiya. Though just a small shop, I guess it's the most comprehensive store selling Japanese food products in Penang. Japanese stuff can be really expensive, because of this, I always have to control myself from not buying too many things. So, I quickly scanned the shelfs and grab the stuffs I need, frozen unagi kabayaki, ebiko, wasabi... then I saw some something special. Shiso (perilla) leaves. I went Uwaa... this should be a cool decor for my sushi and decided to throw it into my shopping basket. The leaves cost RM 3.60 per packet and each pack contains about 12 leaves.

I also bought a bottle of Otafuku's spicy okonomiyaki sauce. It cost me RM 15.90 per bottle. Rather expensive for a bottle of sauce... Anyway, I just threw that in my basket as well cos I was playing along with the theme. Indulging and giving in to shopping. Hehe. By the way, the sushi recipe doesn't call for okonomiyaki sauce. I just bought it out of impulse... I quickly left the store after that cos I was getting really green eyed. I knew that if I've lingered any longer in the store I would have burst my pocket like a little child breaking her piggy bank to buy candy.

Coming home, I instantly started with the sushi. It's pretty easy actually. All you need to do is to prepare the sushi rice. I have the sticky rice recipe here. I would also recommend that you cook the rice according to the instructions on the package (if any) and that you cook more than a cup of rice to prevent the it from sticking to the pot.

As for the other ingredients, I used frozen unagi kabayaki and ebiko. Ebiko can be eaten as it is but the unagi needs to be re-heated. You can use an oven or microwave to do this but be sure to grease the pan cos you wouldn't want your unagi to stick to the pan now do you? To make my unagi more glossy and tasty, I brushed a bit of oil and tare (unagi kabayaki sauce) before I popped it into the oven at a low temperature of 175 celcious for 10 minutes. Also be sure to monitor your unagi from time to time. Due to the sweet sauce, it can get burnt easily and we don't want that to happen as well...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ebiko sushi - gunkan or battleship style...

For the prepared sushi rice, wet your hands with a little water mix with vinegar. Place a large tablespoon of rice onto your palm and shape it into a long ball (like a nigiri sushi). A nigiri mould may come in handy if you're not good with your hands. Once done, just assemble everything together. Cut the unagi and place it on top of the rice ball to make unagi sushi. Cut a strip of nori seaweed, wrap it around a ball of rice and spoon in ebiko (you can use tobiko if you can't find ebiko) to make ebiko sushi - gunkan style or battleship style sushi.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

To add a little festive mood into the food, I used a special nigiri mould to make these star shaped sushi...

As for cocktail drinks, I decided to make jasmine green tea with lime. It's jasmine green tea mixed with some lime juice and honey. It is very refreshing and is great for washing away any fishy after taste from the sushi.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A refreshing drink of jasmine green tea with lime...

And so, how did my siblings, the panel of food critics find the sushi? The results I got was 'oishii' and 'oishii' (oishii means delicious in Japanese) all the way. I think this is because unagi and ebiko have always been their favourite foods.

15 Comments:

Blogger boo_licious said...

Very professional sushi! Yummy stuff.

Sunday, 18 December, 2005  
Blogger Stephanie said...

How funny...we made sushi, too!

It all looks fantastc; thanks for coming!

Sunday, 18 December, 2005  
Blogger babe_kl said...

so lovely looking sushi

Sunday, 18 December, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

yumyum....

hehehe... i still owe u one meme :P

i have the list ready, but 1 or 2 pics still missing.

i promised the meme will be up by next wednesday

Sunday, 18 December, 2005  
Blogger Penang Podcast said...

hi... I'm doing a podcast called penang podcast and I will talk everything about Penang. Of cause, Penang food is one of the famous thing that I would like to introduce to all listener.
I found that your web site have a good introduction of penang food and wonder if you would allow me to talk about those food that introduce in your blog.
Please contact me if you would like to know more detail about penang podcast.

Sunday, 18 December, 2005  
Anonymous Rorie said...

Gorgeous photos - it all looks incredibly delicious!

Monday, 19 December, 2005  
Blogger NKW said...

damm nice sushi u got there.. :)
was wondering how many sets of different plates you have...
you seem to use different sets of plates for different cuisines
:)

Tuesday, 20 December, 2005  
Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

excellent indeed....u r getting better and better. Kudo to you rabbit...

Take penand podcast offer...

Tuesday, 20 December, 2005  
Blogger day-dreamer said...

Aaahh!! I love sushi, and especially those two you have featured! In fact, I had also snapped some photos for the meme. But now, I'm still pondering whether I should post them or not. Sia sui nia...

Wednesday, 21 December, 2005  
Blogger rokh said...

i love sushi! yours looks really delectable!

Thursday, 22 December, 2005  
Blogger day-dreamer said...

Pssst! I'm sure you've heard of the saying, "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth", so there goes...

A little surprise for you here. Hehehehe! :D

Thursday, 22 December, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Boo,
You think so? Thanks. I feel so flattered *blush*.

Stephanie,
Thanks for making sushi for us. I we can call this a Christmas sushi party!

Babe,
Wah, compliment from Babe. Thank you, thank you... I'm glad you find it lovely : )

Jelly,
Thanks. I will go and see your meme right away!

Penang Podcast,
Sure. You may talk about the food in my blog : ).

Rorie,
Thanks. Myself is a sushi fan. These two are my favourites...

NKW,
Thanks. Haha, I do have a few sets of plates but not many. Sometimes I do use back the same plates. I love to use plain white plates and bowls best!

Food-man,
Sure sifu, wahtever you say sifu... ;p

Dreamer,
Haha. I can't wait to see your Meme. I'll visit your blog after this. Dangerlah you... eye for eye pulak...


Rokh,
Thank you. This must be my day, everybody seem to be full of praises for my sushi..hehe

Friday, 23 December, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

U are indeed a professional cook :)

Saturday, 24 December, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Doc,
Thanks! Haha... so many compliments, later my tail puff up.

Sunday, 25 December, 2005  
Blogger fween said...

http://foodsushi.blogspot.com/
there are some way to eat eel. i love donburi though !please link to my site!thanks.

Friday, 11 April, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home