Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Friday, December 30, 2005

Ahn-nyong-ha-se-yo! Kimchi Anyone?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ahn-nyong-ha-se-yo! This greeting may sound familiar to many. Korean culture has been gaining a lot of popularity since the introduction of Korean dramas and movies to the Malaysian audience a few years ago. Since then, I often wondered about Korean cuisine. Apart from kimchi (fermented spciy cabbage in the above photo), kimbap (Korean version of rolled sushi) and bulgogi (Korean barbecued meat), I have no clear picture of what Koreans eat...

To be honest, I’ve never really tried Korean food before in my life - so does most of my friends. Therefore, to celebrate the coming new year, we decided to visit the Sam Oh Jeong Restaurant at Cantonment Road to try out the Korean food there. For who would like to visit the place but are not familiar with the area, Sam Oh Jeong is a bungalow turned restaurant and is located beside a Japanese restaurant ( I can't recall the name though). You will also see a seaside (Gurney drive) if you keep on driving until the end of Cantonment road.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Comfy little place...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The garden outside the restaurant. Was raining that day so the driveway was wet....

Like Japanese food, you can expect Korean food to be a little pricey as well. The price of the dishes ranges between RM 10 to RM 35. The most expensive dish in the menu (excluding liqour) was kalbi gooi or barbecued beef ribs which is RM 35.

But how was the food? It’s difficult to judge whether the meal was good or bad because it was the first time for us to try Korean food. I do love the kimbap and pajeon but the rest of the dishes (especially the kimchi and pickles) may need some getting used to. I was happy to try the kimchi at first. But upon putting it in my mouth, I decided that I do not like it. Maybe I'm just not the kimchi type ; p. Anyway, overall, this experience was definitely a culinary adventure for me...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The plate of fresh vegetables (salad, shiso, garlic and cucumber) are to be eaten with the barbecued dishes, while the little bowls of condiments around it are appetizers...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Some of the appetizers include peanuts and potatoes.
..

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

pickles and fermented vegetables...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

more appetizer pickles...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is Korean barbequed pork, I can't remember what it was called. It had probably costed RM 30...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is kongchi gooi or grilled mackerel pike. Costed RM 25. A bit on the fishy side though...

Image hosted by photobucket.com

This is kimbap, which is the Korean version of sushi. This was my favourite among all dishes. It looks and taste exactly like maki sushi with a hint of sesame oil. Costed RM20 per plate...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This pancake-like dish is called pajeon. Costed RM 10. It consist mostly of Whelsh onions, sliced chilies, eggs and perhaps some starch. The onions made the pancake sweet and I liked it quite a lot...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sam ge tang (thanks FoodCrazee for the correction - hope I got the name right this time) is the Korean ginseng chicken soup. Like our Chinese herbal soup, they also used 'kampung' (village) chicken and in this dish, the whole bird was stuffed (like a turkey) with Korean ginseng, glutinous rice, dates and chestnut and boiled for 12 hours until cooked. Costed RM 30 per bowl. Tasted quite nice but could've been better if the soup had a stronger aroma of ginseng in it...

Sam Oh Jeong Restaurant
No. 64, Cantonment Road, Penang

15 Comments:

Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

Do try again and you will find Korean food its delish. A good kimchi is hard to come by and if you dare, go for the ox tongue.

Think its Sam Ge Tang.

Happy New Year to u and ur family Rabbit.

Saturday, 31 December, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

i see my saliva again...

Saturday, 31 December, 2005  
Blogger Penang Podcast said...

I tried that restaurant before. Their food is nice. Not bad compared to those I ate in Korea.

Saturday, 31 December, 2005  
Blogger JoeC said...

can never go wrong with food like these....

Have a Smashing Happy New Year!

Saturday, 31 December, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Happy New Year dear Rabbit and family. The Korean food looks delish.

Sunday, 01 January, 2006  
Blogger babe_kl said...

wahh the driveway looked to nice! errr the bowls are so chinese geh? :p hahahaha anyway wishing u and family a happy and peaceful new year

Sunday, 01 January, 2006  
Blogger day-dreamer said...

I'll bear in mind to not visit your blog on an empty stomach. :P

Monday, 02 January, 2006  
Blogger domestic rat said...

Never realised Korean food is so pricey in Penang!

Thursday, 05 January, 2006  
Blogger Helen said...

If you get a chance, try Bulgogi.(hope I'm spelling that right) I hope you have a wonderful New Year! I really enjoy your blog very much.

Thursday, 05 January, 2006  
Blogger Chen said...

Korean food..
so far I have only tasted once, but in different place.. not at the restaurant u mentioned.
I love the kimchi :D

Saturday, 07 January, 2006  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Food-sifu,
This kind of food needs to grow on you. Sure, I'll try it again next time but I don't think so I'll try the ox tounge...

Thanks for the wishes, Happy New Year to Food-man and family as well!

Jelly,
Geli-lar you. Always salivating ;p

Penang Podcast,
Wow really? You must be a Korean food fan. What do you recommend other than the ones I had?

Joec,
Thanks for the wishes. Great new year to you to!

Boo,
Thanks. Happy happy new year to everyone! Yeah!

Babe,
Very happy new year to you, hubby and boiboi!! Yeah, bowls are kinda chinese. One of my friends said "eh, like my ah-mah (granny's) bowl..." when she saw it... ;p

Dreamer,
Haha, eat potato bread firstlah next time!

Domestic Rat,
Thanks for dropping by : )...
This one's a bit more pricey. Maybe there are other outlets that are slightly cheaper. I need to find out.

Helen,
Thanks. Sure. I'll try bulgogi next time. This Korean food is starting to grow on me. I'll perhaps try to cook Pajeon (green onion pancake) and see how it turns out. Happy new year to you too ; )

Doc,
Eh? Doctor loves kimchi. I know why, because it's healthy right??

Saturday, 07 January, 2006  
Anonymous Caroline@Bibliocook said...

There aren't many Korean restaurants in Ireland (as far as I know) but, when I lived in Christchurch, New Zealand, there were loads around although I never did manage to get to any of them. Too busy cooking at home at the time! Who's sorry now...

Oh, and just letting you know that you've been tagged for the Wierd Meme (www.bibliocook.com/archives/2006/01/weird_meme.html). Best of luck!

Wednesday, 25 January, 2006  
Blogger domesticgoddess said...

i went to this restaurant years ago, the food didn't impress me. for korean food, you should try the seoul garden at sunrise tower, the food is good that's why it's so popular!

Thursday, 02 February, 2006  
Blogger Spider63 said...

Thanks for the great information and photos.

Monday, 27 February, 2006  
Anonymous Byn said...

Hi all,

Thought of wanted to share out my newfound Korean Kimchi website. I have tasted it and it tasted good as well as the price is affordable.

I think it is useful for those who missed and love to have homemake korean kimchi as well as does not have the time to make it yourself.

Try it out Authentic Korean ….

http://www.kimchi-shan.blogspot.com

Tuesday, 02 December, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home