Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Western Food at Chef's Delights, Pulau Tikus, Penang

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

If you're desperately craving for Western food but do not want to burn a hole in your pocket, do not despair, Chef's Delights is the place to run to. Located in a 'kopitiam' (Hokkien term for coffee shop) called Sin Hup Aun, beside the Pulau Tikus market, Chef Delights serves a variety of popular hawker style Western food including chicken chop, pork chop, fish and chips, chicken Maryland chicken cordon bleu, steaks, grills, burgers and soups.

In my opinion, Chef’s Delights is one of the best place in Penang to enjoy hawker style Western food simply because the price is very reasonable, the serving is generous (especially the pork chop) and the taste is quite good. For your info, a plate of chicken or pork chop costs only RM 5.50 and I usually dare not order the pork chop because the serving is too big. So I guess, I'll recommend pork chop to those with a big appetite!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Pork chop at only RM 5.50. I couldn'd believe my eyes when I saw the serving size. This stuff is awesome!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is Chef's Special - which is basically chicken fillets fried in batter. I love this cos it's so easy to eat (no bones)! I would also like to recommend the weekend special (which is only available on weekends) whereby the sauce is sweet and spicy. Really delicious!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Fish and Chips. I guess this may be a good choice for those who would prefer something on the lighter side...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Chicken cordon bleu. The chicken fillet is stuffed with ham and cheese then coated with breadcrumb and deepfried till golden brown. Not bad...

Apart from Western food, there are also other hawker foods available in the kopitiam such as Jones Street’s mamak style ‘mee goreng’ (fried noodle) and ‘mee basah’ (noodles in thick and spicy gravy), Chinese stir fried noodles and rice dishes, putu mayam, tom yam spaghetti, ‘wet style’ pohpiah, sushi – yes, sushi and others. Hawker style sushi is definitely not common in Penang. The sushi looks quite good, so I may like try this on my next trip there. It should also be noted that some stalls only operate in the morning while others in the afternoon or evening.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Famous Jones Street 'mee basah'. I saw many customers ordering this, so I decided to try. It was actually quite good...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My mother loves the 'char hor fun' from the evening session's Chinese stir fried noodle and rice stall...

Another piece of info that is worth mentioning is about the kopitiam owner’s son. He happens to be Adrian Ang, the famous and talented bowler from Penang. I came to know about it through the interesting exhibit of trophies, medals and news paper clippings at the back of the koptiam. Well, it looks like the kopitiam certainly have another thing to shout about besides great Western food!

Chef's Delights open daily from 12:00pm - 2:30pm and from 6:30pm - 10:30pm. They also offer catering services and you may contact Mr David Tan at 016-455 2286 or 017-552 2286 for further information if you're interested...

15 Comments:

Blogger boo_licious said...

ooo, that looks yummy. I don't think I have eaten at this shop b4 - so far eaten the egg appam and the lok lok at Pulau Tikus only.

Saturday, 26 November, 2005  
Blogger NKW said...

hello...
will be heading for penang tonight... will arrive there tomorrow morning...
:)

ermm... since u r penang's ambassador... do u know any discos or clubs that plays good techno?

Saturday, 26 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Boo,
Fyi, the kopitiam is just right beside the hawker stalls selling lok-lok and others. The lok-lok there is also very famous. You sure do know a lot of makan places in Penang Boo...I'm impressed...

NKW,
Sorry to dissapoint you. I'm not really a 'kaki disco' ;p. I totally have no idea about where to go... really blank... but as for hawker food, you may like to try Swatow Lane...

Saturday, 26 November, 2005  
Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

nice........kinda lost when i'm in penang....i dont go there often..ooops! lookslike NKW is in the wrong blog...*chuckle*

Saturday, 26 November, 2005  
Blogger NKW said...

erm...
am just trying to distract myself so that i don't over indulge myself with food...
don't wanna get fat.. the last time when i went to penang during my 3 month holiday... i gained something like 5-10 kilograms.. in just 3 months..
no joke.. :D

although i haven't manage to slim down to my original weight.. i have done quite a lot to keep fit... don't want all my effort to be wasted... :D

so, besides food... what else is good in penang?

Saturday, 26 November, 2005  
Blogger day-dreamer said...

*hand touches growling stomach* Yum yum! Wow, Rabbit, you ordered so many things to eat??? Every picture looks nice and clear (besides delicious too), good photography skills! Keep it up.

Saturday, 26 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Food-man,
I really admire your occupation. Can I be your virtual student/apprentice? Haha...

NKW,
Yes, I understand. It's hard for me to keep fit too since I moved to Penang 5 years ago... take care not to over eat this time...

For Penang, what I enjoy most is the hawker food. Other than that, if you're a nature guy, you may enjoy a stroll through the Botanical Garden or hike up the Penang Hill. If you're a beach dude type you may like to visit Batu Ferringhi. They have some water sports there... hmmm maybe you can go to this site to get more info:

http://www.tourismpenang.gov.my/

BTW, from 1st Dec onwards, there will be the annual Pesta Pulau Pinang... I think this should be rather interesting too ;). Hope the info is sufficient!

Dreamer!
Thanks! How's your exam coming along. Almost Merdeka yes?

Saturday, 26 November, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

waaaaaaaa....

how u managed to shot so many different western foods one?

btw, they look tasty and nice!
hehehehe...

day-dreamer
toking about food photography, she is especially good. i got impressed since i first found her blog months ago ;)

Sunday, 27 November, 2005  
Blogger Piggy said...

hmm... I'm not aware of this stall that serves such yummy western food! I must check it out when i'm back to Penang for CNY! :-)

Tuesday, 29 November, 2005  
Blogger day-dreamer said...

Jelly, I know, because I have eyes, as you might not be able to notice. Wakakakaka, just joking!

Hehehe, of course lah, people pro one mah... unlike somebody who admits that his blog is crappy. *winks*

Tuesday, 29 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Jelly,
Hey you're more pro than me when it comes to photography! I saw your site, the Genting photos are sooooo nice! Great work!

Piggy,
Yes. Please try the porkchop oops! I'm asking you to be cannibal ;p...

Dreamer,
You should see Jelly's site the one with the Genting photos. Wah!!! Then you know who is pro.
Even without eyes, he can take such nice pictures!

Tuesday, 29 November, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

U seems like ordering lotsa food. Don't tell me u eat that all by yourself.. heheh.. or else u will be bloated like a balloon :P

I have visited that place before, but quite some time already. I think more than a year ago already.

Thursday, 01 December, 2005  
Anonymous michaelooi said...

Been to this place... very nice indeed.

Monday, 05 December, 2005  
Blogger lainieyeoh said...

WOW it looks so good I didn't know it was gonna be so cheap

Monday, 05 December, 2005  
Blogger penangfood said...

http://penangfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, 22 November, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home