Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Sunday, November 06, 2005

My Curry Puff and Me

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I recently bought a recipe book on making ‘kuih’ (local snacks or desserts) called “Minuman Petang” (translated as “Afternoon Tea”) written by Sa’adiah Mohamad. The book is written in Malay and featured 48 types of sweet and savoury kuih recipes.

After flipping through the book, I decided to make ‘karipap’ or curry puffs, which is a very popular anytime snack in Malaysia. Although today we find many variations of curry puff – some with different styles of pastry or some with different kinds of filling - the standard or conventional curry puff is basically made of deep fried pastry with curry potato filling.

Whenever, I make curry puffs, I would remember my childhood days of playing ‘masak-masak’ (Malay word for cooking) with my siblings. We used to roll out some ‘plasticine’ (the Play Dough of our time) and pleat it into little curry puffs. We would then place the curry puffs on plastic toy plates and pretend to have tea. It was an interesting game to play since we were not yet old enough to be in the kitchen to do real cooking…

Anyway, thanks to my masak-masak lessons, I am now able to pleat nice curry puffs. But, sad to say, today, this skill is actually not necessary anymore with the advent of curry puff moulds. The curry puff mould is a simple yet clever invention. Just roll out the dough and leave the rest to the mould! It makes perfectly shaped curry puff every time and twice as fast!
In this recipe, I decided to do it manually, that’s because I couldn’t find my curry puff mould from the kitchen closet. Rats! Wonder where it had disappeared to? In this attempt, I also decided only to follow Sa’adiah’s curry puff ‘skin’ (pastry) recipe. The curry potato filling is my own recipe. As a suggestion, you can use other filling for the curry puff such as sardines in tomato sauce, ground peanuts and sugar, spicy coconut filling or anything else that you fancy. By the way, my choosy eating siblings really loved the curry puffs I made. So this is how the recipe goes… enjoy!

Curry Puff Recipe

(yields approx 1 dozen medium sized curry puffs)
Pastry
250gm plain flour
60gm melted margarine
80 - 90ml water mixed with ½ teaspoon of salt

Filling
2 cups of potatoes (cubed, boiled and drained)
1 cup of cubed chicken flesh
½ cup of mince onion
4 – 5 tablespoon curry powder
½ cup coconut milk or milk
2 tablespoon butter
Salt to taste

Method:
In a large bowl, combine flour and margarine. Add in water a little at a time and knead until dough becomes smooth and pliable. Leave it for 10 - 15 minutes then, with a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a thin sheet (0.5cm). Using a round cookie cutter, cut the dough into circles and place a little filling in the middle. Fold over and pleat the ends of the pastry to seal in the filling. Deep fry curry puffs until golden.

For the filling, heat a pan and sauté the onions in the butter until soft. Add in chicken and curry powder and fry until fragrant. Finally, add in potatoes, milk, seasonings and cook until thick.

14 Comments:

Blogger day-dreamer said...

Wow, it sure looks nice! Erm... what number should I call for home delivery? ;-)

Monday, 07 November, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

They look so scrumptcious. Wish I was in Penang!

Monday, 07 November, 2005  
Blogger humblewarrior said...

Are you gonna make more and give those out as free samples? I don't mind being your taster.

Tuesday, 08 November, 2005  
Blogger Tibbar de Gniw said...

How come I never saw any curry-puff-making rabbits when I was in Penang?

Tuesday, 08 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Dreamer,
Thanks. No deliery service at the moment haha..

Boo,
Thanks boo. You sure it looks scrumptious? I thought you only love portobello mushrooms and gorgonzola cheese haha...

Warrior,
Haha... thanks for wanting to be my taster ;p..

tibbar,
Oh there are! There are! it's just that you hadn't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. I am the rabbit that pounds mochi in the moon and sometimes... I make curry puff in Penang ;p...

Tuesday, 08 November, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

karipap.. one of my old times favourites :)

Wednesday, 09 November, 2005  
Anonymous MamaFaMi said...

Karipap is my favourite, spiral karipap or plain karipap, as long as karipap, I love it! When I do, I like to pleat it myself rather than using the mould. More satisfaction and not to mention...more work! Huhuhuhu!

Saturday, 11 February, 2006  
Blogger Char Hling said...

dear glutton rabbit,
Thanks so much for ur recipe, this is the perfect recipe i ever tried, except i don't know how to pleat the tepi...can you please put in the photo how to do that....i live in US now, tak jual sini...appreciate

Friday, 01 June, 2007  
Blogger psychedelik said...

Hello! I'm a Singaporean in Alaska now. Had a craving for these so I tried your recipe. Thanks cos they turned out good! The only difference was I didn't put in any meat (didn't have any with me) but I did put in a quarter of a boiled egg in each curry puff. Sedap! Experimented with the pleats too, had to give it a few tries before I was successful :p

Sunday, 02 September, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello,
my mother makes the perfect karipap ever. now that it's fasting month and i am away from home, i plan on making karipap for break fasting. only problem ive been having when making these delicious little kuih is that when it starts to cool down, the dough becomes tough. do u have any suggestion as to how to prevent this?

Wednesday, 26 September, 2007  
Anonymous nicole & achint said...

great recipe!
i just tried making these curry puffs, and they turned out awesome! i didn't put any meat in it, but instead threw in some diced up hard-boiled eggs.
thanks for helping satisfy a craving for a singaporean based in melbourne =)

Monday, 25 August, 2008  
Blogger J.T. said...

Hello there

I was in search for a simple curry puff recipe and came across your blog.

I can't wait to try it out this week.

Thanks a million! :)

Monday, 22 September, 2008  
Blogger gfh said...

you can get Wow Power Leveling and wow gold wow power leveling

Tuesday, 07 July, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spiral karipa (Curry Puffs)..... Make my mouth watering in ENGLAND..... Please stop it hahaha..

Luckily I've a Malaysian lady friend who's a GREAT COOK & her recipe for the curry puffs were gorgeous.....

Now I'm trying out the curry puffs in different filling.....

All the Best to You...

Friday, 17 July, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home