Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Hay! Hay! It's Donna Day! - Self Frosting Cupcakes

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Hay! Hay! It’s Donna Day! Today marks the first event of Donna Day and I have obediently baked some Self Frosting Cupcakes according to instructions – well, maybe not so obedient - but I’ll explain later on. First of all, I think you might curious about who is Donna? Donna Hay (her full name), is a famous cook and food stylist from land of down under. She has her own magazine and also wrote a bunch of cook books which were sold around the world.

So I guess she’s a world famous person. Hadn’t heard of her before? Me too, I just knew about Donna (a week ago) through Nic’s eloquent description about her… But wait a sec Donna fans, don’t get upset with me! Not knowing Donna doesn’t mean I don’t like her. Sure I like Donna! I like anyone who’s into cooking. Especially those who do it so well like Donna. Anyway, I would like to thank Donna Hay for the lovely Self Frosting Cupcake recipe, Babara from winosandfoodies for being the hostess of this chic event, and last but not least, Nic from bakingsheet for introducing Donna to us and also for providing the Nutella Frosting Cupcake Recipe (which is the theme of the event) for our reference. Thanks everyone!

Well, the reason why this cupcake is ‘self frosting’ is because it has a baked-in frosting. I think this self-frosting concept is very clever. It saves one the trouble of frosting the cupcake and it looks just as pretty. It is also a lot less messy, so, I must agree that these cupcakes are very ideal for picnics, lunches, outings, traveling or such like events.

In addition, these cupcakes are so delicious! And I’ve made mine with German ‘Nutella’… what in the world?! Calm down, calm down dear Donna fans, please, allow me to explain. I bought a couple of ‘Nutella’ like products in my last trip to Germany. The stuff is called Nusspli, Nuss Naugat Crème made by Franz Zentis Gmbh & Co. It is also made of Halzelnut and chocolate cream, so I thought why waste money to buy another jar Nutella when I have a couple of Nuspli in my cupboard. Also, I am still a bit broke after coming back from the Germany trip this summer so using Nusspli in this recipe seem only reasonable… you wouldn't have the heart to be angry with a financially impaired Rabbit, would you? *sob* (melodramatic music playing in the background)...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Anyway, on with the story! Prior to baking the cupcakes, I spooned some Nusspli into a piping bag and piped on some straight lines. With a bamboo stick (the ones used for skewering satay), I swirled the lines into designs and pop the cupcakes into the oven. At the end of the day, I was satisfied with the results and was also happy that my finicky eating siblings had liked the cupcakes. But one sad thing though, I don’t think I can call it Nutella Frosted Cupcakes. In my case, it should be called Nusspli Frosted Cupcakes instead…. that is unless, we want to play pretend ;p…

20 Comments:

Blogger rokh said...

your design looks too good to be eaten! yum!

Sunday, 20 November, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Wow, I love the design on your cupcakes. Who cares if it's not nutella, as long as it has chocolate I'll eat it!

Sunday, 20 November, 2005  
Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

wow! u r getting better and better Rabbit....nice designs of twirls

Unlike boo, i dont eat chocolate by itself....but in a cake or ice cream....bring it on..

Sunday, 20 November, 2005  
Blogger NKW said...

very nice... my gf loves chocolate a lot... :) will put that on my bake-list right after exams... :D

Sunday, 20 November, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

eh... long time din eat cupcakes d.
maybe later buy some to eat.

better still if can taste yours
hehehe...

Sunday, 20 November, 2005  
Blogger Piggy said...

Hi, I like the swirl on your cupcakes, lovely!

Sunday, 20 November, 2005  
Blogger day-dreamer said...

I have a plan. After SPM you take me in as your deciple. Teach me how to bake such finger-licking-good stuff and in return, I'll be your QC (Quality Control), FOC!

So, how's that? Deal? Do lemme know ASAP.

Monday, 21 November, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

day-dreamer into cooking ar?
i like
kekekekeke.....

Monday, 21 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Rokh,
Thanks. The kaya cupcakes on your site are really nice and juicy too. Maybe I will experiment with other ingredients too next time!

Boo,
Thanks! It's easy to please a chocoholic. Just add chocolate into anything and they'll like it ;p...

Food-man,
Thanks for the compliments! I am so glad you see progress in my skills sensei... ;p

NKW,
Very sweet of you to bake some for your gf. I bet she'll love it ; )

Jelly,
You mean you like day dreamer or you like cooking?? Haha...

Piggy,
Thanks! I piped out chocolate lines and used a bamboo stick to make the design.I'm glad you like the swirls ; )

Dreamer,
Can or not? Later sikit-sikit your parents sue me for overworking their anak emas how? Scared-loh...

Monday, 21 November, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

ermm.....
like both can ar?
kekekekeke......

whoever into cooking i oso like :P

Monday, 21 November, 2005  
Blogger humblewarrior said...

Wonderful! Please include a couple of Nutella cupcakes when you Fedex the chicken pie over. I strongly recommend using 3rd-day Air =)

By the way, how can I give you the delivery address?

Tuesday, 22 November, 2005  
Blogger Lucia Lai said...

hello! sorry to hijack your blog to go OT but i don't see your email here, so have to write here.

since you are in penang, you might be interested in a bloggers (and netizen) meet this sunday. anyone welcome! including your many readers here. maybe you can do a food review at the venue (i.e. if you haven't been there before.)

for details go to my blog here:
gathering for bloggers & anyone
reminder

Wednesday, 23 November, 2005  
Anonymous tea said...

I love your swirly cupcakes! They're one of the best I've seen. ^_^b

Wednesday, 23 November, 2005  
Blogger babe_kl said...

pls send some over...

Wednesday, 23 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Jelly,
Can. It as just a trick question, like the one you answered for your Pendidikan Moral ;p...

Warrior,
Okie dokie. Just give us your e-mail sir...;p

Lucia,
Thanks for the info. I've already put up a post to advertise about the gathering : )...

Tea,
Thank you for the compliment. It really encourages me to bake more cupcakes. I'm planning to do a strawberry jam version... not too sure yet but we'll so how it goes...;p

Babe,
Haha... btw, I've already bought a copy of the Female Appetite! Great magazine! I'm glad I bought it! Thanks for the recommendation!

Wednesday, 23 November, 2005  
Anonymous Barbara said...

Wow Glutton Rabbit - brilliant swirls. Look out for my round up this weekend.

Friday, 25 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Barbara,
Thanks for dropping by! Can't wait for the roundup!

Friday, 25 November, 2005  
Anonymous Barbara said...

Glutton Rabbit - Congratulations. Email me at pinotgrisATgmailDOTcom and I'll send you your prize.

Sunday, 27 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Barbara! Wow! I'm so happy! Can't wait to host the next Donna Day event!

Sunday, 27 November, 2005  
Blogger drNO said...

i will surely try to bake this cupcakes....yummy

Saturday, 12 May, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home