Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Guten Tag! Ich bin Glutton Rabbit und das ist Spaghetti Bolognaise!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Did I tell you that I was in Germany this summer? Too bad I hadn’t started my blog yet at that time or I would’ve been trigger happy with my camera shooting at all the German food that comes my way. I do have a few shots in my collection, perhaps will share them with you next time…

OK, so the Rabbit’s been to Deutchland… Big deal So what? Do you know that she was just on a job assignment and not tourism? And by the way, can you tell me what has Germany got to do with spaghetti bolognaise? Please explain… Well, Italian food is rather popular in Germany and I love the pasta they served over there. I frequented a couple of Italian restaurants over there and oh my! Such lovely pasta they serve, I just fell in love at first bite…

Then, on my last day in Germany, on the morning before I took off on the airplane, I went shopping at a grocery store called Netto. And if it weren’t for luggage space, I would have bought the whole store back to Penang.

The first thing that caught my attention were instant fixes (or instant mix). I thought it was a good idea to bring some of it home since they are very light and compact. Then, like a mad bunny, I just grabbed as much instant fix that I could. Spaghetti, chilli, lasagna, soups, pudding and whatever I could get my hands on.

The prices of these fixes are rather cheap as well. The ones I bought cost only 40 cents to 1 Euro. I had a hard time deciding on what to buy and what not to buy. I also grabbed some cooking chocolate along the way but decided to put it back like a good bunny because it was too bulky and heavy - a decision which I regret until today…

And so, with the instant fix that flew back with me from Germany, I present to you today, spaghetti bolognaise!!! And to go with the spaghetti, I also added some imported sausages from a glass bottle (air flown from Germany) for extra bite and flavour.

And what was the verdict? Simply AWESOME! My fussy eating siblings quickly swallowed down the whole pot of spaghetti and it vanished like magic within an hour! They also congratulated me for my good cooking. I just love pasta… it makes me feel so wanted… By the way, if you're wondering why my bolognaise sauce is lighter in colour, it is because I use pork instead of beef.

My reading adventures on "On Cooking" will be up next. I found the first chapter to be rather interesting. It's about the origin of Restaurants. Stay around if you want to find out more!

13 Comments:

Blogger J said...

hiya, cute blog you have here!

Thursday, 03 November, 2005  
Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

Guten Mogen ! nice of your company to have sent u to Deutchland! At least u can travel free!

Thursday, 03 November, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Lucky you! I've never been to Germany and it sounds real fun.

Thursday, 03 November, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

Woh, Rabbit, Did u try their black forest cake in Germany?

The original Black Forest Cake tastes totally different from the one available here. I like theirs :) Too bad I didn't snap the Black Forest Cake at that time. (Regretlah...)

Thursday, 03 November, 2005  
Blogger skyjuice7 said...

I like Germany. Beautiful (but pricey) place. Italian food is popular in Slovenia (former Yugoslavia) too.

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger rokh said...

wow germany, i wonder how the food taste like there? since you reenact it here and it seems awesome!

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

so good...
so hungry...

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

J,
Thanks! I like cutie stuffs...

Food,
It is nice only when you are there... when you come back, have to work like horse ;p...

Boo,
Yes it was really fun. I love the place very much and I miss the pasta there ; )...

Doc,
I didn't manage to try it wor... aiya, miss the great stuff already right? Why din tell me earlier? Then I won't miss it mah... BTW, how was it different from the Black Forest here?

The ice-cream overthere is super delicious! Can get fat very fast-loh stay there...

Sky,
Yeah! Very pricey for us cos of the currency exchange.
I guess Italian food is popular almost everywhere...

Rokh,
Glad you dropped by! Food is great in Germany - especially if you're a meat and cheese lover ; ). Chocolates are abundant. Lindt, Kinder, Milka etc... Really a great place to visit if you love all these...

Jelly,
Hungry-leh? You should try the ones in Germany, more awesome that this one I tell you...

Saturday, 05 November, 2005  
Blogger day-dreamer said...

Arghh!! You made me so hungry!! I'm a pasta-lover too, but I prefer bolognaise to carbonara - too cheesy!

*stomach growls*

Monday, 07 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,

I wonder where can I get some curry puff molds. I live in the US.
Please reply via my email at mltai@ix.netcom.com
Plse put subject line: Curry puff

Melinda

Friday, 09 December, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, can you tell me where to get some curry puff mold. plse repond to mltai@ix.netcom.com

Friday, 09 December, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helo good I am living in holland border to germany ,I wonder where I can get the curry puff mould ,I been looking around all over the shop selling the baking stuff.seem it not selling over here.so please if any one have an idea where I can get it one.Dank u

Saturday, 25 March, 2006  
Blogger Ann said...

You have a cute blog! love reading it :) Guten Tag!

Friday, 08 May, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home