Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Friday, November 18, 2005

Blog Party #4 - The Gang's All Here: The Holiday Edition - Chicken Pie

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It’s party time again! Every third Friday of the month, Stephanie from Dispensing Happiness, will host a fantastic virtual cocktail party (with virtual food, drinks and music!) where everyone and anyone is invited to come. Thanks for being such a great hostess Stephanie!

The theme for this month’s blog party (Blog Party #4 - The Gang's All Here: The Holiday Edition) is holiday food. With Thanksgiving and Christmas just around the corner, holiday mood is definitely filling the air. For some of us, this is the time to get busy in the kitchen, preparing all kinds of goodies to serve our guests.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I decided to make chicken pie for the party. I found the recipe in one of my mom’s old books called Nestle Happy Homes (vol. 5, April 1986). The book features recipes which were created using Nestle products but not to worry, you can still make the pie, the ingredients can be easily substituted with products of another brand if you can't find Nestle...

Honestly, I’ve never made a decent pie in my life. When I was kid, my mom used to bake all kinds of pies. Curry potato and meat pies were her specialties. At that time I was just a little helper running around the kitchen fetching this and that for her. I never had the chance to shape any pies because I was too young and even clumsy. The most that I got to do was to glaze the pies with egg yolks once my mom has finished decorating it.

But as I grew older, it never really struck me to bake any pies. I made cakes, cookies, snacks, desserts and all kinds… but never a pie. Perhaps I subconsciously looked down upon pies as something that is less interesting to make. I don’t know but I owe you an apology dear pie! After making chicken pie, I have totally changed whole perception towards pies.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Now, I truly enjoy making pies and I am looking forward to bake some more pies in the future. The part I that I enjoyed most was the decoration part. The recipe below yielded two approximately 7 inches in diameter pies. I decorated one with some holly and the other with stars. I was really delighted with the results. It wasn’t really a work of a pro but I felt that it was definitely something to be proud of!

I served the pies together with a refreshing drink of rose flavoured cordial with mint sprigs and my fussy eating siblings enjoyed the whole meal. They gave good ratings for the pie. The was an 8 over 10 for taste with additional praises for presentation. If you know my siblings, they can really be hard to please when it comes to eating. So, I was really flattered and floating in cloud nine that day. Well, here goes the recipe. I sincerely hope that this recipe will bring you great results as well…

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Chicken Pie Recipe

Short Crust Dough:

500gm Flour
200gm Butter
100gm Water

Filling:
500gm Chicken cut into cubes
100gm Potato cut into cubes
100gm Carrot cut into cubes
250gm Onion, sliced
50gm Green Peas

White Sauce:
50gm Butter
50gm Flour
250gm Chicken Stock
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Maggi Granulated Chicken Stock (I think this is optional or you can get another brand)
½ cup fresh cream or Nestle Cream (I used Marigold evaporated creamer)
Oil for cooking

Method:
For the Short Crust Dough, rub flour and butter thoroughly. Make a well and add the water. Mix into a dough and let it rest for ½ hour before use.

For the white sauce, heat butter, add in flour and mix thoroughly. Then add in the chicken stock and stir well and boil up.

Blanch or scald the carrot, potatoes and chicken meat in salt water. Saute the onion, add in chicken, potatoes, carrot and add in the white sauce and stir well. Add cream and season well. Lastly, add the green peas. Check the taste and thickness. Remove from heat and let it cool.

Divide dough in two portions and roll out. Place rolled out dough into the round mould and add in the cold filling. Cover with the other rolled out dough, cut out the edges. Fork the top of the dough. Brush with egg yolk, bake in oven at 180 Celsius for approximately 45 minutes.

14 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey, Rabbit...that's one gorgeous looking pie! Excellent job.

Don't worry about the no-veg thing; I can covert any recipe to a vegetarian option, with little trouble.

And the cordials look marvelous...thanks so much for coming to the party, and for being so early!

Friday, 18 November, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Rabbit! That looks so nice, I messed up my blog party entry so it looks like my plans to post it tday is out of the window. Sigh! I hope I will not be super late like last mth.

Friday, 18 November, 2005  
Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

hey! nice and u say u never bake a pie b4.....u sure?

Friday, 18 November, 2005  
Blogger LavaMama said...

Looks very GOOD and pretty too!

Friday, 18 November, 2005  
Blogger babe_kl said...

hmmm looked so good!

Friday, 18 November, 2005  
Blogger humblewarrior said...

Hey Thanksgiving is next Thursday. Any chance for you to send me a FREE chicken pie?

Saturday, 19 November, 2005  
Blogger rokh said...

wow great looking pie. one glance and i don't believe its your first time at all!

Sunday, 20 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Stephanie,
Thanks for dropping by! See you at the party!

Boo,
Thanks. I saw your new entry! You've made it in time - Yeah! Your satay lilit looks marvelous!

Food-man,
Thanks. Honest, never before... but now I love to bake pies! I like to play with the dough very much... reminds me of play dough. hehe...

lavamama,
Thanks for dropping by. I'm so glad you like the pies ;).

Babe,
Thank you! I'm glad you like it too! Care to make one for your boiboi?

Warrior,
Okie dokie! I'll post it over this Thursday...FOC...haha...

Rokh,
Thanks. It's not that hard to make them. Do try it out one day : )... You may like it...

Sunday, 20 November, 2005  
Blogger NKW said...

very nicely done pie... but will have to wait till my exams are over to find time baking it for my gf... :)

thanks for the great recipe and straightforward explanation...
:)

Sunday, 20 November, 2005  
Blogger day-dreamer said...

Rabbit, lu chin chia suei eh u zai bor? So bad... always tempt me with so many kinda things and make me feel so hungry every night.

Yeerrr... pilih kasih!! Humblewarrior order from so far away you agree to send to him but when I ask for delivery to Perak you decline... Why? He ean tau is it? :'(

Monday, 21 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

NKW,
You're welcome! BTW, wish you all the best in your exams!

Dreamer,
Haha. Main-main onlylah. Can you imagine what will happen to the pie when it reach Humble Warrior? Do you think he will still dare to eat it after that? Probably he will ask me how come the pie don't look like the photo one...

Monday, 21 November, 2005  
Blogger MeBeth said...

That pie looks delicious - so comforting on a cold night!

Tuesday, 22 November, 2005  
Blogger day-dreamer said...

Dear Rabbit, I was only joking too! Jangankan reach Humblewarrior, maybe when it reaches my house also I daren't open and see what colour it is in. *winks* Black, maybe, covered with mould. Ha ha!

Tuesday, 22 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Mebeth,
Thanks. I'm glad you like it. Pies are one of my favourites : ).

Dreamer,
I'm glad you're a smart one... haha ; )

Wednesday, 23 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home