Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Taukua Sumbat, stuffed beancurd

‘Taukua sumbat’ is a Malay word literally translated as stuffed beancurd. This Malay snack is made of deep fried beancurd sliced diagonally into halfs and stuffed with shredded cucumber and Chinese turnip (jicama). Taukua sumbat is served with a thick sweet and spicy peanut sauce that is similar to the one served with Satay.

It is hard to come across taukua sumbat these days. Malay ‘kuih’ (local snacks and dessert) sellers don’t really carry this snack anymore. I am lucky because my mom knows how to make them and I can enjoy this snack every now and then.

I recalled in my high school days, our class decided to sell taukua sumbat during the school’s food fair. It was our form teacher’s idea but at that time, I thought that taukua sumbat was such a lame thing to sell. I was wishing that my class would sell some thing more ‘trendy’ like pizzas, sandwiches or burgers….

Anyway, to my shock, my friend S and I were assigned to decorate the stall. We decided to create a few models of taukua sumbat using Styrofoam, paint and grass (from our school field) to imitate shredded cucumber. The whole experience was rather ticklish. I can still remember how we laughed so hard when the model was completed because we thought it looked a little ridiculous.

Finally, our class’s won the title of having the cleanest and nicest stall. I also recalled that many of our customers adored the models that we’ve created. I am often reminded of this experience whenever I see taukua sumbat…

5 Comments:

Blogger Chen said...

This rabbit is found guilty... for making me salivating.. :P

Aiyoh.. I love taukua sumbat lah..
U made me feel like eating it now :(

I presume u didnt take any pictures of the stall, right?

Saturday, 08 October, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Yeah, you rarely see taukua sumbat, usually it is the tofu bakar nowadays with the same stuffing.

I like the story of the stall and do share pixs if you have any.

Saturday, 08 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Chen, Boo,
Sorry, to dissapoint you both but I lost all my high school photos when I moved house to Penang!! ;(

Saturday, 08 October, 2005  
Blogger Greenapple said...

hey, i love the way you edit this picture. great stuff! great post!

Sunday, 09 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Greenapple,
Thanks for the compliment. You can do it too. Just use Adobe Photoshop to edit and save it in gif format...

Wednesday, 12 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home