Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Swatow Lane, a glutton's paradise...

There are countless of hawker centers all over Penang. Each are famous for certain hawker dishes. Today, I visited Swatow Lane, a very well known place for hawker delights.

Hawker stalls along the road at Swatow Lane...

More hawker stalls...

One can find almost any Penang hawker dish here. Everything is concentrated under one roof… char koay teow, laksa, malay popiah, Indian rojak, fried mamak noodles, prawn fritters, ice-kacang, cendol, lor-bak, yam cakes, wantan noodles, chicken rice and much more!

Lor-bak aunty arranging her lor-bak (fried pork roll) and other fried goodies...

Or-kueh uncle busy preparing for customers...

He is also selling bak-chang (glutinous rice pork dumplings - hanging)
and chee cheong fun (rolled rice noodle)...

This place is indeed a paradise for gluttons. I have a hard time choosing what to eat. Everything seems delicious when I only have so much tummy space and calories to spare? Sorry, you can forget about calories when you're here!

Lor-bak and fried goodies at close up...

This is my lor-bak platter...

Penang style chee cheong fun with prawn paste sauce...


The first thing I’d head for is the fruit ice-kacang (shaved ice with syrup, red beans, fruits and ice-cream) and ‘or-kueh’ (yam cakes). Boy, these 2 are my most favourite in Swatow Lane. I guess the or-kueh is the best I’ve ever tasted in Penang and the fruit ice-kacang is so refreshing. Not many places in Penang would serve ice-kacang with cut fresh fruits.

My favourite fruit ice kacang... deliciously refreshing!! Perfect dessert on a hot day!

Or-kueh or steamed yam cakes. Don't let looks decieve you. This stuff taste great!!


Other notable dishes are the fried mamak noodles and Indian rojak from a stall called ‘Mee Sultan’ and the ‘tee nya kueh’ which is a Nonya snack or desert which a kind of chewey cake served with rich palm sugar syrup. Tee nya kueh is an old time favourite and it’s really hard to find it anymore nowadays.

This is a rare spesis, the tee nya kueh...hehe. Just pour the palm
sugar syrup over the soft and chewey cakes and enjoy... I love this!!


Attention my gluttons friends! If you're interested, Swatow Lane is located in town area behind the Penang Plaza (Giant supermarket). Do drop by when you’re visiting Penang!

8 Comments:

Blogger boo_licious said...

Yeah, I love the ais kacang at Swatow Lane and the tee nya kuih. Those are essential whenever I go to Penang for a holiday.

Monday, 03 October, 2005  
Blogger Greenapple said...

great stuffs! homesick! Penang, such a paradise, eh? if i'm ever in Penang, I only know must go over to Heng Heang to get the biscuit. Now I know this paradise. Will go the next time if I ever visit Penang!

Monday, 03 October, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

Yeah.. The ais kacang here is fantastic. My hubby always order ais kacang when we frequent this place :)
Btw, haven't visit this place for quite some time already loh...

Too many nice food in Penang liao...

Tuesday, 04 October, 2005  
Blogger babe_kl said...

i never makan those fruit ice kacang before lah adoiiii this is so painfully bad post for my tummy :p

Tuesday, 04 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Boo, Greenapple, Chen, Babe
I like the ice-kacang so much that I'm imagining myself eating it at this moment... carzy rabbit

Thursday, 06 October, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

i might be coming to penang this month end wor.... :)

Thursday, 06 October, 2005  
Blogger humblewarrior said...

So many Sakai-sans and Iron chef Chens over there in Penang...NICE! By the way, you must be getting paid well to advertise for em', LOL! JK.

Thursday, 06 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Jelly,
Great! Don't forget to go to Swatow Lane for ice-kacang!

Warrior,
You sound like a fan of Iron Chef as well. No, I don't get paid *LOL*. I just like to watch the show.

Saturday, 08 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home