Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Ramadhan Bazaar - Stadium Darulaman, Alor Setar

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I was visiting a relative in Alor Setar, the capital of Kedah today. So, I decided to take the opportunity to visit the famous Ramadhan bazaar at Stadium Darulaman in the late afternoon. There were plenty of choices of food to choose from. There were the standard stuffs that every bazaar would have like satay, kebab, murtabak, nasi lemak and others but I was really delighted with the assortment of kuih (local snack or dessert) that was sold there....


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Above is 'kuih sago'. It is made from cooked sago (moulded, set and sliced) coated with grated coconut. The bright red comes from added colouring and there is also a green variety of kuih sago...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

'Tepung pelita' taste is similar to agar-agar. It consist of two layers, white (coconut milk) and green (screwpine) held in a little container made of screwpine leaves.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Above is an assortment of sweet kuih. Top left is 'kuih lapis' and top right is agar-agar. I do not really know the names of the ones at the bottom though... too bad ;(

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

These little brown cups are called 'kuih kosui'. They are made from brown sugar, rice and tapoica flour. These steamed cakes have chewy consistancy and is usually served with grated coconut...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And what a pleasant surprise to find these at the bazaar! They are Japanese pancakes called 'Dorayaki' which is made popular by the cartoon Doraemon. They had four flavours, red bean, pineapple, corn and 'kaya' (coconut custard) - I bought them all. But the taste is slightly similar to buns... I think the must have used bread flour in their recipe...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sweet 'kuih cara'. It is actually grilled batter with sugar syrup filling. I love these
so much when I was a kid....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Savoury 'kuih cara' with meat and dried prawn filling. Hmm, this kuih kind of reminds me of of 'takoyaki', Japanese octopus balls. Probably it's due to the reason that both are grilled batter with savoury filling...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Aha! My highschool favourite! We would buy them from the school canteen. I do not know the name for this kuih but my classmates used to call it 'burger'. It's kind of like a fried doughnut sliced open and stuffed with a slice of cucumber and 'sambal ikan bilis' (spicy anchovies) or sardin flakes in tomato sauce...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

These are a kind of 'cucur' (fritter), but I cannot identify whether it is 'cucur jagung' (corn fritter) or 'cucur udang' (prawn fritter). It is to be eaten with spicy peanut sauce, so I think most likely it is a kind of cucur udang...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Now this is a strange kuih. You don't see this everyday. The kuih seller told me that these are called 'apom puri' (not sure of the spelling). The outside is a fluffy pancake and the filling is 'kaya' (coconut custard)...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So colourful and cute! I just had to take a photo of it. 'Apam' and it is a very common chinese cake eaten mostly during festivals....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

'Akok' is the name of this kuih. My first time seeing and tasting this kuih. At first I thought they were fried brinjal slices ;p. It is basically made of rice flour and coconut milk...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Satay! The ever popular Malaysian dish. Don't you think the arrangement of the satay on the grill makes it look like a piano keyboard? Only 25 cents per stick. Music to my tummy....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We have, chicken satay...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And beef satay... Just dip it in spicy peanut sauce and enjoy!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Fried spring rolls with chilli sauce. It's Malay style fried pohpiah and it taste really great. I used to be addicted to them during college days...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

These banana leaf parcels are 'otak-otak'. It is fish in savoury spicy custard. But be careful, not all banana leaf parcels you find at kuih stalls are otak-otak. There are many other types of kuih wrap in banana leaf which may look like otak-otak but are not...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

You're looking at the ingredients at a 'lincikang' stall. Lincikang is a kind of dessert drink with lychees, sago, agar-agar cubes, nuts, barley, bassil seeds and many others. The base of the drink is made from dried longan. Lincikang a very popular Chinese 'tong sui'...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Lincikang drink at close up view. The stuff that look like frog eggs are bassil seeds. Hope you're not too gross out with this drink because of it. Bassil seeds are good for cooling down your body...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

F&N or Coca-cola? Nope! It's the local made Rassa brand soda drinks...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Sorry, these are not edible, they are firecrackers! For a kid, Hari Raya (Muslim celebration after the fasting month) is not complete without playing firecrackers. Apart from the food I saw, I was happy to see these too cos it reminded me of childhood. Maybe it's not a bad idea to get some Pop-pop...

Masak-masak has more awesome photos taken at the Ramadhan bazaar in the place where she lives. Here are the links if you're interested:

Ramadan Bazaar - Kampung Kerinchi, Kuala Lumpur
Ramadan Bazaar - Kampung Baru, KL (Part 1)
Ramadan Bazaar - Kampung Baru, KL (Part 2)

Ramadan Bazaar - Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur
Ramadan Bazaar - Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur
Ramadan Bazaar - Section 17, Petaling Jaya
Ramadan Bazaar - Section 14, Petaling Jaya

8 Comments:

Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

errrgggghhhhhh..... beh tahan liao. Must go tomorrow to the KG Baru Bazaar and buy food.

Sunday, 16 October, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Rabbit, those pixs are great! Everything looks wonderful. I never knew there is a special type of drink up north too. I will link you when I post Monday's ramadan bazaar. Thanks for the mention.

Sunday, 16 October, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

i tot i saw Kepong Baru, KL Part 1&2 links. kekekee...

too blur d...

Monday, 17 October, 2005  
Blogger Greenapple said...

when i saw your title, i felt a sense of aching in my heart. my paternal grandparents used to live very closeby to this stadium, but they've moved to klang valley in recent years. i miss that place, in fact, I miss Alor Setar. I spent most of my CHinese New Year and every other long holiday in AS as that's my father's hometown.

Thanks for sharing this post, really. I never knew that I miss this place so fondly until your post came about.

Monday, 17 October, 2005  
Blogger JoeC said...

holy mac, your coverage of these bazaar is hugh, as big as the bazaar itself. thx for the reviews. Cheers!

Monday, 17 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Foodcrazee,
Haha...I saw your site with the yu tiao. Very interesting!!

Boo,
Thanks for the link. I must say you have the best coverage on Ramadhan bazaar! Great job!

Jelly,
Kepong Baru? You do the coverage for this lah. Haha...

Greenapple,
Very sentimental place huh? I grew up in AS as well. The next post is also about Alor Setar too. Better take out your hankie...

Joec,
Thanks. I'm glad you like em : )

Tuesday, 18 October, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

Wah.. So many varieties.. All looks super duper yummy & delicious.. I haven't visit any of the Ramadhan Bazaar yet... So sad :(

Hahaha.. they even sell dorayaki as well? I have only eaten dorayaki once, and that was in my hometown in Sarikei :D

I have eaten the kuih cara previously. The taste was quite nice, just that a bit oily loh..

I like your so called "burger" ;)
Well.. I dunno what's the name as well.. :D

The akok indeed looks like fried brinjal :P First time I see this. How it taste like? Nice?

Nice review :)

Wednesday, 19 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Doc, thanks foe the compliment.

I think it really is called 'kuih burger' hehe...

Akok is quite good. It taste like baked coconut custard...

When are you going to pasar Ramadhan?...

Friday, 21 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home