Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Ramadhan Bazaar - Queen Street, Penang

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

As mentioned in my previous post, while visiting Little India at King Street, Penang, I bumped into another pleasant surprise. While strolling around King Street, a big green banner with the words “Ramadhan Bazaar” written on it caught my attention. Without much thought (that I hadn’t even completed my culinary adventure in Little India…), I excitedly walked into the connecting lane called Queen Street. It did occur to my mind that whether these two street names were given on purpose. Honestly, I do not know. One is King Street and the other is Queen Street, such a coincidence that both street are just next to each other…

Anyway, the Ramadhan bazaar at Queen Street was rather interesting. Most of the stalls there were owned by ‘mamak’ (Malay word for Indian Muslims) and the food variety is more towards Indian influence such as putu mayung, passembur, murtabak, chapati and a large assortment of Indian ‘kuih’ (snacks or desserts) and sweets. In addition, there were also the usual Malay fare like Malay kuih, nasi lemak, fried chicken and other dishes. I really bought a lot of kuih and muruku that day. I ate so much that I blew my calories and daren't take any dinner that day...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thinly rolled dough, fried till crispy and drizzled with sugar syrup. The stall owner told me that the name of this Indian kuih is called 'sweet puri' - that is, if I didn't hear wrongly because the man had a deep Indian accent...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I do not know the name of this Indian kuih. It is basically
deep fried red bean paste in batter...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I forgot what is the name of these kuih. It looks like brown doughnuts yes? The colour is probably due to brown sugar as part of it's ingredient. I do know whether this kuih is of Indian origin but I saw it at the Indian kuih stall....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

More deep fried Indian kuih. I really have no idea what
these are but they look really yummy...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

'Putu mayung' man in action. He sells putu mayung on a bicycle!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Putu mayung lin a big basket on the back seat of his bicycle. It looks very much like vermicelli. It is made of rice flour. It taste kind of bland but goes very well with brown sugar and grated coconut...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Grated coconut and brown sugar to go with putu mayung balanced on a basket cover on the front seat of the man's bicycle...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This Malay lady's kuih looks so tempting, I just had to buy some.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

'Acar' (pickled vegetables) sold in little plastic containers.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is green kuih is called 'kuih ketayap'. It is basically pancake
with sweet coconut filling wrapped up in spring roll style..

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

'Kuih lopis' which is green glutinous rice cakes covered with grated
coconut served with palm sugar syrup (the one in packets)...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is 'kuih burger'. It is basically fried dough sliced open like a burger
bun and stuffed spicy anchovies... my favourite!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is 'kuih hotdog' ;p. This must be a contemporary creation. It is
fried dough stuffed with hotdog and drizzled with chilli sauce...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

'Cucur badak' is made of sweet potatoes with spicy coconut filling. They are shaped intp a flat ball, decorated with a little prawn and deep fried...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

'Abuk-abuk' are steamed chewey rice cakes with sweet peanut filling
and dusted with flour on the outside...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Agar-agar jelly in bright traffic light colours...

I must admit that this is a rather late Ramadhan bazaar post. This will definitely be the last one from me until next year. To end this post I would to link to Masak-masak's the last two Ramadhan bazaar visits. There're really awesome:

Ramadan Bazaar - Shah Alam Stadium
Ramadan Bazaar - Kelana Jaya, Petaling Jaya

14 Comments:

Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

Putu Mayung.... errrr i thought it was called putu mayam.

Dunno whick is correct. Anyone care to comment ?

Thursday, 27 October, 2005  
Blogger Sue said...

I know it as Putu Mayam too. I love that "burger" with sambal too. They call it pau goreng/pau sambal here. Lovely! You have some rather interesting things in the Penang Pasar Ramadhan, like those sweet puri!

Friday, 28 October, 2005  
Blogger sue said...

both are correct..in Tamil they call it 'idiapum' (maybe the spelling is wrong, but it sounds something like this..)

Friday, 28 October, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

sei for... Ramadhan Bazaar going to end soon in few days time, and yet I haven't visit any yet :(
Cham...

Friday, 28 October, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

chen,
u've got company (in a way lor, din visit any bazaars this year cos bz)
muahaha...

Saturday, 29 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Food,
Yes! I know what you mean. I just used mayung because I heard people mention mayung more often than mayam...;p

Sue & Eternity,
I really like the kuih there very much...

Traveler,
Thanks for clarifying...

Doc!
The days are counting down. Please make a trip there, you won't regret it!

Jelly,
And you too, you better hurry, but I donno still sempat or not in your area... I heard that the bazaar stalls are already packing up this week...

Sunday, 30 October, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Sorry for the late comment, I seem to be having problems with blogger yesterday!

Interesting spread of stuff and some which I have not seen before too. Most of those ramadan stalls will pack up and go from Monday onwards I reckon? They also must "balik kampung"!

Sunday, 30 October, 2005  
Blogger Kurakat said...

I am very hungry after looking thru your pics of food... OMG

Monday, 31 October, 2005  
Blogger ccpling said...

:) great photo

Monday, 31 October, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

eh... kuracat was here also
hehe..

rabbit,
aihhhh... sad case, cant make it this year. =(

Tuesday, 01 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Boo,
Yes, they should be packing now. Tomorrow is Hari Raya... no more Ramadhan Bazaar till next year. Bye-bye goodies!

Kurakat,
Sorry I make you hungry. Please fix something to eat. Hehe..

CCPling,
Thanks for dropping by ;)

Jelly,
Aiyak? So cacatlah cannot make it this year... Sad hor? Nevermind, still have next year!

Wednesday, 02 November, 2005  
Blogger skyjuice7 said...

Love the photos! I know it's called putu mayam (string hoppers in English) too. The 'brown doughnuts' are called cucur keria and is of Malay origin.

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger skyjuice7 said...

Ketayap (as the Northerners called it) is 'kuih dadar' in many other parts of Peninsula Malaysia.

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Sky,
Thanks for the compliment. String hoppers, I hadn't heard of that before. Thanks for sharing.

Saturday, 05 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home