Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Pasar Ramadhan at Bayan Baru, Lintang Mayang Pasir 4

Last Wednesday marked the beginning of the Ramadhan month which is the 'puasa' or fasting month for Muslims in Malaysia. During this month, Muslims will fast from dusk untill dawn abstaining themselves from food, drinks and certain deeds which is according to Muslim law.

For me, this month simply mark the time to enjoy great Malay food. This is because Malay food are easily available anywhere during late afternoon and evening time. The most interesting place to get them would be at 'pasar Ramadhan' (Ramadhan bazaar) hich is similar to the night market concept but with every single stall selling food!

Yesterday, I decided to visit a popular pasar Ramadhan at Bayan Baru area which located behind a mosque nearby Sunshine Square supermarket. There were so many choices of food to choose from and the place was so crowded with people buying food, rushing to get home. Just by standing there, one can feel the atmosphere of 'buka puasa' (breaking fast)....

Crispy prawn fritters at a pasembur (Indian rojak or salad) stall...

A lady grilling loads of chicken wings on a skewer...

'Ayam madu' or honey roasted chicken...

The ever famous 'ayam percik', which is grilled chicken peices
basted with spicy marinade.... these are really great!

Penang famous pasembur (Indian rojak) stalls from Persiaran Gurney (Jalan Edgecumbe)
and Swatow Lane (Mee Sultan) both set up stalls here. This one is from Jalan Edgecumbe...

All kinds of mouth watering 'gulai' or curry...

Colourful display of packet drinks and juices...

This stall really caught my eye... The sign reads, "Roti Arab, Donat Comel'
translated as Arab bread and cute doughnut????

Aha! So, the cute doughnout is actually fried fritters dusted in sugar. Roti
Arab reminds me of Chinese 'Han Chim Peng' but it is eaten with curry...

This is 'pulut udang'. It is grilled glutinous rice with spicy prawn and
coconut filling wrapped in banana leaf....

Colourful pudding and agar-agar...

More agar-agar of assorted flavours and colours...

This stall sells 'lemang'. Lemang is made of glutinous rice cooked in the
inside of a long bamboo. It is hard to get lemang during normal days...

Close-up of lemang. They are often eaten on with 'serunding' (spicy meat,
prawn or fish floss) and 'rendang' (spicy meat stew)...

These lemangs are made with black glutinous rice...

These are 'ketupat', which is glutinious rice wrapped and cooked in
'palas' leaves served with curry...

Boo_licious from Masak-masak did a great report on pasar Ramadhan in the area she lives, that is Kuala Lumpur. If you like my post, I recommend you to drop by her blog for more interesting write-ups and mouth watering photos of Ramadhan Bazaar - Section 14 and 17 Petaling Jaya!

10 Comments:

Blogger boo_licious said...

Hey, cool stuff! I love these bazaars where you get to see all sorts of food. The lemang with the black glutinous rice is so unusual. We definitely don't have that.

Monday, 10 October, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

i always like dat pandan agar agar

Monday, 10 October, 2005  
Blogger humblewarrior said...

Don't know whatelse to say....still drooling.........

Tuesday, 11 October, 2005  
Blogger plum said...

Glutton Rabbit, these are incredible photos! And that agar agar looks so good - I'll have to experiment with it soon.

Just to let you know that I've tagged you for the 23/5 meme. Hope you enjoy it!

Tuesday, 11 October, 2005  
Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

aiya ! kau liao lar. There goes me diet.......

Tuesday, 11 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Boo,
I saw more Ramadhan post on your blog! Great stuff! Great job!

Jelly,
Jelly is agar-agar mah, sure like onelah! ;p

Warrior,
Just say.. who are the other 7 persons that look like me ;p

Plum,
Uh oh, I wonder what is my 23rd post about? Well what do you know, it is about agar-agar and cut fruits... meme is coming soon...

Foodcrazee,
Sedapleh? Thanks for dropping by...

Wednesday, 12 October, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

Haven't visit any of the bazaars yet lah so far... Time Factor.. Hope can do so one of these days :( The lemangs looks very delicious :P

Thursday, 13 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Doc, please make some time to go. We only have lemangs during this time of the year you know...hehe

Tuesday, 18 October, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

Yeah.. the lemangs is indeed delicious. Haven't eat any yet so far.. I can still remember the time when I was on call in maternity ward/labour room in Sarawak General Hospital many years ago during Raya time... the nurses brought lotsa lemang for us to eat ;) So yummy :)

Wednesday, 19 October, 2005  
Anonymous Caroline@Bibliocook said...

Glutton Rabbit - I'm just after spending a large chunk of a work morning browsing through your blog. I've spent some time in Malaysia - mostly with family in Kuching - but I loved my (too-brief) visit to Penang last November. It's great to see your pictures of the markets, especially as you identify all the things that I spent my time puzzling over! I'll definitely be back to Malaysia at some stage in the future and, thanks to your blog, will know much more about the foods I'm eating!

Wednesday, 18 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home