Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Monday, October 31, 2005

Mango Pudding & A Rabbit's Resolution

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I was extra 'rajin' (Malay word for hardworking) yesterday and decided to make mango pudding for tea-time snack. There were ample mango puree left after making the pudding, I decided to cook a fruit sauce to go with the pudding. One thing lead to another, I suddenly found myself melting chocolate and piping out designs onto a plastic sheet then assembling the whole pudding, sauce and chocolate into a yummy looking masterpeice... the only let down was that the mango pudding didn't taste as great as I wanted it to be....

Gazing at my finished artwork, I thought to myself, you have a long way to go Rabbit. There is so much yet for you to learn about cooking and baking. I always dream about how nice it would be if my job was to do with cooking and baking! All my life I studied about bits and bytes. So, if I really wanted to change my expertise it would be very tough...

Turning my eyes away from the pudding onto the bookshelf, I saw the cooking book called, "On Cooking" written by Sarah R. Labensky and Alan M. Hause. The book was given by an uncle who once worked in a sausage factory. I understood that some cooking schools use this book as a textbook reference. Then, I thought again, since you like cooking so much, why don't you do a self study and see how everything goes? - or see if you still like cooking that much after this lesson... who knows? ;p

So, with this silly resolution, I plan to share with you, dear readers, whatever interesting stuff I come across in my reading adventures on "On Cooking" in my future postings...

13 Comments:

Blogger Jellyfish said...

waaaa... from the looks of it.. it is like the work of a pro lar!!!

y u din stay in kl one.. den i can taste ur manggo pudding ma. i bery lup manggo puddings wan...
kekeke....

Tuesday, 01 November, 2005  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

ooh how pretty!

Tuesday, 01 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Jelly,
Too bad the pudding didn't taste as great as it looks. I was dissapointed about the taste...

Spinning girl,
Thanks for the compliment, somehow I wished it had tasted better...

Tuesday, 01 November, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

They look great though. Maybe the mangoes you used were not sweet enough?

I like your new resolution. Go for it!

Wednesday, 02 November, 2005  
Blogger fooDcrazEE said...

wow ! u r good rabbit even for a techie (is dat a correct word ?) I cant even pipe put such a nice chocolate design like urs. Try doing them using a sweeter mango like boo said. Or tipu a lil using some sugar lor

Wednesday, 02 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Boo,
Thanks. Yes, I think the type of mango used somehow spoilt the pudding... I should have used sweeter ones...

Food,
Thanks for the compliment and the tip. Haha, please don't call me techie. I do not qualify. I am not nerdy enough you know *LOL*...

Wednesday, 02 November, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

Your mango pudding looks great :)
Niece piece of art :)

Btw, it's still not too late if u want to change your expertise. You are still young :)

Thursday, 03 November, 2005  
Blogger skyjuice7 said...

I love mangoes and your mango pudding looks so pretty.

Friday, 04 November, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Doc,
Now big girl already, so many commitments... hardlah to suddenly change...;p

Sky,
Thanks. I love mangoes too! Especially mango kerabu ;p~~~

Saturday, 05 November, 2005  
Blogger day-dreamer said...

Some of those sold at shops don't even look half as nice as this! You ought to be proud!! But then again, you've made my stomach growling in hunger. =D

Monday, 07 November, 2005  
Anonymous Jimmy said...

Hi, visited your blog and I love your photos of Penang foods.

Wednesday, 27 June, 2007  
Blogger Jeena said...

I love your blog it is brilliant. I think all the pictures of the different foods and sweets are amazing and a great read thanks. :-)

Monday, 29 December, 2008  
Blogger ARUNA said...

awesome...........mouth-watering!!!!

Thursday, 14 May, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home