Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Gurney Hotel and a Rabbit's dream

I had been busy these few days attending a seminar at Gurney Hotel. On and off during the seminar I keep day dreaming of becoming a super chef (like Iron Chef) and I wondered if I have taken a wrong step in life to study about systems instead. Still dreaming on, I thought, if only my parents have recognized the interest I had about cooking and have sent me to study about hotel and catering. But it's too late now, the only chance that I can be an iron chef now is behind the four walls of my own kitchen.


A few years back, during my study days, I had the opportunity to work in a 4 star hotel due to a course requirement. Students were given the choice to fulfill certain credit hours either by practical experience or paperwork and I had chose to go for pratical. I started writing letters to many companies and organizations and was finally accepted by a hotel in my hometown called Holiday Villa.

I had both good and bad experiences working there. I was once bullied by the other kitchen helpers to peel a big box of onions. While peeling the onions, I cried like nobody's business both due to the sting of the onions and at the thought of being bullied! How dare they bully a pitiful rabbit! I will remember your deeds bad kitchen helpers!!!

But it was not all bad experience altogether, I had fun learning how make a variety of dimsums, desserts and snacks which are fond memories that I cherish until today...

But like any other student, back then, I just couldn't wait to finish my practical. I just wanted to graduate fast and start working so that I can be financially independant. It never occured to me that one day I would be longing to join the food and beverage industry....

All photos were taken at the Gurney Hotel, Penang

7 Comments:

Blogger boo_licious said...

Rabbit, it is not too late to go for your dream. Maybe you can open up your own food business?

I have been to Gurney Hotel once to stay, they have huge rooms and great views.

Thursday, 06 October, 2005  
Blogger Eternity said...

i've a friend who studied hotel & catering, but now ends up selling pets! how you wish for transfer of skills huh? anyway, do something about your dream. that's the only way it will ever come true.

Thursday, 06 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Boo,
Yeah, I thought about opening a sushi restaurant before. But first, I need to improve my cooking skills...he

Eternity,
Thanks for the advice. I hope one day my dream will come true : )

Saturday, 08 October, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

Rabbit, u are still young ;)

Saturday, 08 October, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

Rabbit, u are still young ;)

Saturday, 08 October, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Rabbit - If you want to open a sushi restaurant, I think you need to train at a Japanese restaurant. Like Chen says, you are still young so go for it!

Saturday, 08 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Chen,
I am not young anymore... but I can't disclose my age ; )...

Boo,
Well, I plan to open kaiten sushi restaurant with sushi robots to help me. But they are really expensive... so I need to work hard and save a lot of money!!

Saturday, 08 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home