Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Visiting my hometown and eating...

Whenever I go back to Alor Setar (in the Kedah state), I would definitely stop by Star Parade to have a little feast at Wah Tua Guan, a very good Chinese fast-food style outlet. The shop serves a variety of favourite local dishes to chinese herbal soups like bird's nest and ginseng soups. I guess this is my most favourite eating outlet in Alor Setar. The environment of the shop is very clean and brightly lit. Kinda reminds me of a fast-food restaurant and the food is really nice too, I really like it...

'Kai-si mee' or shredded chicken with noodles. This taste something like wonton noodles...

Fried wonton served with pickles. The pickles are rather similar to a certain type of Japanese tsukemono made out of carrots, cucumber and vinegar...

I also had 'laksa' Kedah. The broth or soup of the Kedah style laksa is thinner than Penang style laksa. Also, laksa Kedah is usually served with a slice of boiled egg...

This mountain is called 'ais-kacang' or 'abc'. It is literally translated as ice with beans. It is basically shaved ice served with syrup, coconut or evaporated milk, red beans, cream corn, agar-agar cubles, green strings, 'atap-chi' and if you like, ice-cream. Eh? Sounds like mitsumame no?

This is 'cendol'. It is shaved ice served with palm sugar syrup, coconut milk, red beans and green strings. The green strings are referred to as cendol. There is a famous cendol stall at Penang Street, I will do a write up about it some day...

3 Comments:

Blogger Gabrielle Guichard said...

Bonjour, I need to read to improve my English and your blog helps me. So, if you want to learn to speak French online I would be happy to pay you back.
Gabrielle
PS I'm not sure I understand everything but the pictures make my moouth water.

Saturday, 10 September, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

Alor Setar reminds me of the ikan bakar & the huge glasses of fruit juice. I get a shock out of my life when they served me the huge glass of fruit juice (few years back....if not mistaken it's end of year 2000) :P

Tuesday, 20 September, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Malay stalls can be pretty generous. Everything kao kao... chinese stall always more 'kiam siap'. Business minded mah...

Tuesday, 20 September, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home