Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Story of mid autumn festival

I purposely tested a Chinese colleague of mine if he knew the history of mid autumn festival. To my surprise, he replied, "Yes, it's a 'couple' kind of day...". What he meant was, mid autumn festival was something like Valentine's day and he wasn't trying to be funny. I just burst out laughing at his reply...

Mid autumn festival is a Chinese thing. Baed on the Chinese calendar, it is celebrated on every 15th day of the 8th month. The celebration is to remember how the Chinese overthrowed the Mongolians by communicating through messages hidden inside in a special cake (which was the moon cake).

Moon cakes can be very sweet. It is made of a thin pastry on the outside with some kind of filling inside. The traditional filling are like red bean paste (yes, like Japanese anko), lotus sead paste or white bean paste. In each moon cake there is a duck egg yolk inside. It looks like a moon when you slice the moon cake. Nowadays, there are so many types of filling to choose from such as durian, chocolate, green tea, mochi, cream cheese and you can even find savoury stuffs like curry chicken and pork floss!

Home made moon cakes on display at a bakery in Air Itam

One moon cake is usually cut into slices like a little birthday cake and served. One or two slices is enough to make me 'jelak' ('jelak' is a Malay word. But Hokkien use it as a slang to describe a feeling when you eat something that is too sweet or over powering).

I like the moon cake is from Oversea brand called 'Jade Starlight'. The filling is green tea flavoured lotus seed paste with a layer of white bean paste wrapped around a duck egg. Anyway... honestly, I'm not really a fan of moon cake. But, I do know people who are just crazy about moon cakes and act like they've never eaten moon cakes before. I know a lady who could just gobble up a whole moon cake without slicing like she was just eating a bun. She told me that moon cake is one of her most favourite food.... it was really interesting, because I've never known anyone who could eat moon cakes that way!

I think mid autumn festival is one of the most fun day a kid a kid can wish for. Not only do they get to eat sweet stuffs, they also get to play with lanterns at night... I truly envy them. Yeah, adults can play lanterns too but don't you think we'll look rather silly doing so? Especially if we play with all those cartoon type of lanterns...

Traditional style lanterns in various cartoon motives for children to light up (with a candle) and play with at night during the festival. Pokemon! Powerpuff Girl! Garfield! Superman! You name it we've got it!

There are other also foods with moon cake day such as pomelo, sun flower or melon seeds, small yam, ground nuts, buffallo horns (a kind of water chestnut). Pomelo is which is a large yellowish green citrus fruit...

The traditional red bean paste moon cake...

Shanghai style moon cake with lotus seed paste. The egg yolk looks like a moon....

5 Comments:

Blogger Chen said...

How u celebrate the mooncake festival this year? :)

Yeah, for me, eating one or two small pieces of mooncake is adequate already, eating more will definitely make me feel jelak as well ;)

Hah? curry chicken pork floss and mooncake? Woh... sounds like curry chicken & pork floss puff only... I don't think I want to try that :)

Saturday, 17 September, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Hi Doc, I had 2 slices of moon cake and felt so jelak! That's all the moon cake I had this year ; )..

I bought the porkfloss moon cake from Hadyai, Thailand last year. It taste pretty okay except that it's kinda messy when you slice it...

Sunday, 18 September, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

I can't imagine how the pork floss mooncake looks like :P

Sunday, 18 September, 2005  
Blogger babe_kl said...

so many cellophane lanterns!!! its so hard to get here in KL these days

Monday, 19 September, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Babe, yes... still can get cellophane lanterns from the supermarkets in Penang...

Monday, 19 September, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home