Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Recipe: Curried Potato Spring Rolls

I seriously wanted to participate in IMBB #19 "I can't believe I ate vegan?" and I already had this recipe (minus the meat) in mind. Then I had to spoil everything by asking my siblings, "How bout if I make it vegan, would you still like to eat it?". After saying this, they gave me an are you kidding and I won't touch it look if you cook vegan. *Sighs* my big mouth...

I truly regretted asking them this question. I should have just surprised them with the dish, but I didn't want to take the chance. It is not uncommon that my cooking went down the bin every now and then and this is a very demoralizing experience!

Among my fussy eating siblings, I do have one 'chinchai' (Hokkien word for simple, not picky or fussy)eating brother but he seem to be putting on a great deal of weight lately. This is because we often feed him with leftovers as not to be guilty of wasting good food (since people in Ethiopia are actually starving...).

Then again, it is not healthy for anyone to get fat and I certainly don't want my brother to be obese. So, taking all these into consideration, I just made the decision to join IMBB next time...

~* Dear vegans out there, you can just omit the meat from this recipe and it'll be a fine dish! *~

A little background about this recipe. I used to eat spring rolls stuffed with curried potatoes during as a snack during my college days. I do come across'kuih' (Malay word for snacks or dessert) sellers selling triangular shaped ones and they call it 'samosa'. Yes, you can turn this recipe into samosa by just changing the wrapping style! Cool huh?

The curried potato filling is similar to the ones found in currypuffs. Originally, the currypuff filling recipe calls for potatoes but because potatoes generally more expensive, kuih sellers opt for sweet potatoes as substitue (which is relatively cheaper) in order to gain more profit. Some people complain about not getting their money's worth. But to me, this is not something bad because I like the sweetness of the sweet potatoes. It just makes the whole thing taste better.

This recipe makes about approx 2 dozen...

Ingredients:
2 small sweet potatoes
1 medium sized potato
1 medium sized bombay onion (minced)
1/2 cup of mince chicken or prawn *optional for the vegan*
4-5 tablespoon of curry powder (the more the spicier)
1/4 cup thick coconut milk
1 tablespoon of sugar
Salt, according to taste
1 packet of spring roll skins (choose the small type, 5 x 5 inch with 50 peices)
Peanut oil for deep frying

Method:
Peel, cube and boil both type of potatoes in a pot until cooked (but not to soft). Drain the water and set aside.

Potatoes, all peel, cubed, boiled and drained...

In a pan, saute the onions (with 3-4 tablespoon of oil) until translucent. Add in the mince chicken or prawn and fry until almost cooked. Next, stir in the curry powder and add the cooked potatoes. Slowly add in the coconut milk bit by bit but becareful not to make the filling to soggy. Finally add in sugar and salt to taste. The filling should be soft but not too mashy.

Use 2 peices of spring roll skin in one for wrapping (for crunchy effect). You can wrap it as spring roll or samosa. Once done, heat up the oil and fry until crispy and golden. Drain any access oil with paper towel and serve while it's hot.

Deep frying the spring rolls. Make sure your oil is very hot, or you'll get soggy ones..

Out of the pan and draining access oil...

The verdict? My fussy siblings enjoyed the spring rolls. They gave it 7.5 marks (and a bit more with mayonnaise as a dipping...) out of a 1 to 10 scale. Not bad, not a bad effort at all....

9 Comments:

Blogger drstel said...

hi glutton rabbit!
thanks for playing with "bonbon" heehee...i think your siblings are lucky. would love to try these, vegan or not!

Sunday, 25 September, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Baby Rambutan, glad you like the recipe and thanks for coming over! ; )

Sunday, 25 September, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

wow.... vegan..
i would love to try it, but too bad too far :)

Monday, 26 September, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Aw, that is too bad, it would have been great for you to join IMBB this time around. Maybe you can whip up something else and not tell them?

Monday, 26 September, 2005  
Blogger babe_kl said...

hey u r supposed to surprise yr guinea pigs on this month's IMBB :p hehehe

Monday, 26 September, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Jelly,
You can print it out and eat it. Cacat or not my suggestion? Haha..

Boo_licious,
Thanks. I'll definitely join next time! Right now, I'm just a bit too tired to whip up another dish...hehe

Babe,
Yaloh, I should just do it quiet quiet hor? Really big mouthlah me... spoil everything only...

Monday, 26 September, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

hahahaha... very cacat

Monday, 26 September, 2005  
Blogger truth said...

Wow ..looks yummy !

Monday, 26 September, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Thanks Evol ; ). My picky eating siblings liked the spring rolls very much. I am surprised that they even ask me to cook it again...

Monday, 26 September, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home