Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Oinari the Japanese 'tau-fu pok'

I bought this packet (Misuzu Oinarisan) of readily seasoned oinari or inari from Meijiya at Kelawei road. It contains 16 peices of inari and I plan to make inari sushi out of this.

Inari is beancurd skin similar to the 'tau-fu pok' you find in your curry noodles (curry mee). Japanese usually season it by boiling it in a sweet mixture made of soya sauce, sweet rice wine and bonito stock then use it for making inari sushi. They also add inari into noodle dishes such as kitsune udon or soba whereby the inari is cut into triangles similar to the ear of a fox (kitsune means fox).

I love inari. It get's it flavour from the stock that it is cooked in. It also have a very subtle taste and aroma. But not everyone likes it. Some people describe inari as tasteless. Well, but I don't agree with them. I think it is really tasty. I also think that if you like 'tau-fu pok', you should like inari too...

3 Comments:

Blogger Chen said...

HOw much is that?
I mean the packet of inari...

Sunday, 18 September, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Doc, seasoned inari is rather expensive. This one packet cost around RM 11 (can't recall the actual price) for 16 pieces...

Monday, 19 September, 2005  
Anonymous Kym said...

I agree. Oinari is very expensive -- I just bought some today. If only there were Chinese imitations available...

Wednesday, 22 July, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home