Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Friday, September 30, 2005

IMBB 19 "I can't believe I ate Vegan": Thai style

Thank you Sam of Becks&Posh for hosting this time's IMBB. "I can't believe I ate vegan" was such a challenging theme. I never had such a hard time thinking of what to cook and how to trick my carnivorous siblings into eating my vegan dishes!

These few days, I attempted cooking up a few vegan dishes and got much demoralizing comments from my fussy eating siblings. They weren't really happy when they found out there was no meat in the dishes. Yesterday night, one of them told me straight in the face "I HATE VEGAN!!!" after being tricked into eating vegan curry macaroni au gratin (sorry, no pix for this one).

And yet, with all these rotten feedback, I was determined to try it once more when it suddenly struck me to cook it Thai style. Thai food uses a lot of herbs and spices. The food is mostly sweet, sour and spicy... and I thought this would be a good disguise for vegan dishes. Hehe..

I came up with 4 dishes (mango salad, pineapple fried rice, vege spring roll and lychee agar-agar) and a refreshment (rose and lemon drink) and what do you know... to my surprise, my siblings did not complain as much as I thought they would. They ate it rather peacfully and gave decent ratings for the food (6 or 7 over a scale of 10). They liked the vege spring roll most of all. Here's goes the recipe. Reminder: please use ingredients that are vegan. I read that vegans are picky about their sugar too ;p...

Thai Mango Salad
Ingredients
(Makes approx 4 servings):

3 medium sized unripe mango grated into thin strips *Correction note: Use 3 mangoes instead of 1. Sorry.
4-5 shallots sliced thinly
2 tablespoon chopped ginger flower (bunga kantan)
2 tablespoon chopped kaffir lime leaves (daun limau purut)
1 lemon grass sliced thinly (use only the bulb part)
1 tablespoon sugar (or according to taste)
juice of 2 small limes
few bird eye chillies chopped (becareful this is spicy!)
salt to taste

Method:
In a salad bowl, toss all ingredients together and serve.

***********
Pineapple Fried Rice
Ingredients:
(Makes approx 2 servings)
2 1/2 cup of cooked rice
4 shallots thinly sliced
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon tumeric powder
1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables (peas, corn and carrot bits)

1 cup chopped fresh pineapples (use sweet ones)
salt to taste
sultanas and nuts for garnish

Method:
In a pan, fry the shallots in oil until brown and crispy. Take it out and leave aside for garnish later. Usin the shallot oil in the pan, saute garlic and ginger and add in the tumeric. Add in the rice and stir until coated with tumeric. Lastly add in the pineapples, mixed vegetables and stir a little more until cooked. Season to taste. Serve warm with fried shallots, sultanas and nuts as garnish.

**********
Vege Spring Roll
Ingredients:
(Makes approx 1 dozen)
3 cups of thinly sliced cabbage
5 snow peas thinly sliced
3 shiitake mushrooms soaked and thinly sliced
1 small carrot shredded
handful of mung bean thread (tang hoon) soaked in water and drained
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soya sauce
salt and pepper according to taste
spring roll wrappers (for extra crunch, use 2 wrapper for 1 roll)

Method:
In a pan, heat some olive oil and sesame oil. Saute the mushrooms then add in the cabbage and fry until soft. Add in the carrots, snowpeas and mung bean thread. Add in soya sauce and season according to taste. Wrap the fried vegetables in spring roll wrappers and deep fry. Serve warm with sweet Thai chilli sauce.

**********
Lychee Agar-agar
Ingredients:
(Makes approx 2 dozen)
12 gram agar-agar strips
1 liter water
1/3 cup sugar (or according to taste)
1 can of whole lychees in syrup
1/3 Thick coconut milk for additional flavour
Pink colouring or rose syrup

Method:

In a pot, boil agar-agar and water until dissolved. Add in sugar and a bit of lychee syrup. Lift the agar-agar from stove, add thick coconut milk and colouring. Arrange lychees in mould and pour agar-agar into mould. Keep in the refrigerator until set. Serve chilled.

*********
Rose and Lemon Drink
Rose syrup with water and a twist of lemon. Serve in a glass with lots of ice-cubes and a slice of lemon as decor.

For your info, the recipe originally calls for lime. It's truly a refreshing drink!



Tagged with: +

13 Comments:

Blogger boo_licious said...

Lucky siblings you have, everything looks yummy. Congrats on your first IMBB.

Saturday, 01 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

boo_licous,
Yes, siblings are too lucky ;p. Thanks! I saw you did very well too on your page. You've really got style...

Saturday, 01 October, 2005  
Blogger Ruth said...

What a lovely looking vegan meal. It's amazing how we can trick the most anti-vegan people into eating vegan - just don't mention the word!!!

Saturday, 01 October, 2005  
Anonymous stef said...

oh my gosh, you made lychee agar-agar! where did you get the molds? they look adorable -- and my kids would love it if i made these. thanks for sharing.

Saturday, 01 October, 2005  
Blogger Greenapple said...

hey well done! A vegan meal a la thai indeed is a wonderful idea! such a great first IMBB post, and I know there will be more to come in the future from you, definitely!

Sunday, 02 October, 2005  
Blogger plum said...

I've never used agar agar before but I bought some today for the very first time. but mine comes in little flakes, not strips.

Any ideas on how many flakes to a strip?? :)

Sunday, 02 October, 2005  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

wow... i would love you spring roll and jelly :P

Sunday, 02 October, 2005  
Blogger Sam said...

Hello Glutton Rabbit
welcome to IMBB and thank you for creating such a delcious looking feast. It all sounds great and reading it is making me hungry. the lychee agar agars are in particular so pretty.

Sam

Monday, 03 October, 2005  
Blogger babe_kl said...

well done rabbit on yr first IMBB!!! not one but so many courses too, bravo!!!

Monday, 03 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Ruth,
Thank you. Come to think of it, it is fun to trick people into eating vegan!

Stef,
I got the mouilds from a nearby supermarket. I can get some for you if you want. Just let me know ; )

Greenapple,
Thanks for your encouragement. I'm really touched...

Plum,
I don't really know how to use agar-agar flakes. But I think you can roughly follow this measurement,
1gm agar-agar to 100ml water. Use less water if you'd like the agar-agar to be firmer.

Jelly,
I know you like jelly... cos you're a jellyfish! Haha...

Sam,
Thanks for the encouraging comments and for being the host!

Babe,
Thank you! Your vegan dishes looks brilliant too. Great job to you as well!

Monday, 03 October, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

Can I have the priviledge to sample the food u prepared? :P
Looks so yummy and delicious :)

Tuesday, 04 October, 2005  
Blogger fethiye said...

Good ideas! thanks.

Wednesday, 05 October, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Doc,
Sure. One day you will have the chance to ; )

Fethiye,
Thanks ; ). The photos on your site looks nice but I do not understand your language...

Wednesday, 05 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home