Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Monday, September 12, 2005

Going nuts about wasabi nuts

I'm really nuts about wasabi nuts. Kasugai's wasabi peas and broad beans are the best. I'm sure many people will agree with me on this.

You can get wasabi nuts supermarkets carrying Japanese products like Giant in Penang Plaza or Prangin Mall, Gama, Cold Storage at Gurney Plaza or Meijiya (previously known as Fujiya) a specialty shop located at Jalan Kelawei (beside a petrol station) selling various types of Japanese products.

Wasabi is Japanese horseradish. It's the green paste that's usually mixed in shoyu and taken with sushi. For beginners, please be careful... wasabi is known to be very spicy. It's not the hot chillies kind of spicy but a different type of spicy that kinda of hurt your nose. If you eat too much of it at one go, it'll make you feel like a dragon, you know... breathing fire through your nose.

But I like this stuff, it has a certain nice aroma and it's very Japanese. I always keep a tube of wasabi in my fridge incase it need it. You don't have to always eat it with sushi. You can try mixing it into mayonaise for a great dipping for fried foods...

2 Comments:

Blogger Chen said...

So nice ah? I will go & get some one of these days :)

Friday, 16 September, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Hi Chen, youkoso! Thanks for dropping by my place...

Yes, you should try Kasugai. It's really something nice! And the traingular packaging like a little 'bak-chang' is also very cute.

Saturday, 17 September, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home