Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Ebay opens restaurant in Penang?!

“Golden what restaurant?!” were the words I heard echoing from one colleague to another when we received an invitation to a department lunch today. It’s been quite a while since we had our last department lunch. This time, it’ll be at a place called Golden Ebay restaurant at Sungai Nibong.

Everybody knows that Ebay is the famous auction site on the Internet. Some of my colleagues refuse to believe that Golden Ebay was the real name of the restaurant. Instead, they thought the invitation had a typo. Furthermore, the restaurant serves Thai and Chinese cuisine. There was no ‘funky’ element to suggest why the restaurant would be called Ebay. The name would be absurd.

But when we got there, the restaurant’s signboard read “Golden Ebay Restaurant” loud and clear. Boy! that cleared away all the disbelief we had…

Lunch was a Chinese course dinner style with a combination of Thai and Chinese dishes. The service was bit too slow but I was really impressed with the elegant presentation of the dishes.

Coming back to the office I asked my colleague, Mr L’s opinion about lunch and asked him to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10. His rated the food as less than 5 and added that it was a bit too pricey – to which I agree…

I didn’t take any photos of the great looking food today. I’ve decided that it would not be such a good idea to take photographs of each dish in front of my bosses. Anyway, I was happy to take home some leftovers of the Kao Pad Gai (Chicken Fried Rice)...

Kao Pad Gai (Chicken Fried Rice) re-heated and garnished for dinner ;p...

3 Comments:

Blogger Chen said...

There's lotsa new restaurant and new hawker centre's lately... Too many till dunno which one to choose to go to.. At the end, we still go back to the old ones.. hahah..

Friday, 30 September, 2005  
Blogger boo_licious said...

Maybe the owner wanted something different than Bay in his restaurant name? I wonder if he will get a call from Ebay just like this place in Bangsar who had the name HSBC just like the bank.

Friday, 30 September, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Doc,
Yes. Old ones are still the best..maybe haha.

Boo,
I just found out from a colleague that the owner wants his restaurant to be called Golden Bay. But another restaurant has already used this name. So they used Ebay...hehe

Saturday, 01 October, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home