Pearl of the Orient

This blog is inspired by the rich cluture and food found in Penang, an island in Malaysia known as the Pearl of the Orient. The author of this blog is Japanese influenced and she enjoys travelling, cooking and ofcourse, eating.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Penang, Malaysia

I'm a little plump rabbit who lives in Penang. I hop around with a camera round my neck snapping photos of Penang and foodstuffs. If you meet a rabbit like that in Penang, that should be me ; )

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Deep Fried Spring Rolls at Air Itam

‘Pohpiah’ or spring rolls is originally a Nonya ‘kuih’ or snack. The filling is basically made of shredded Chinese turnip (jicama), carrots, mushrooms, meat and prawn all stir fried and then simmered until tender.

Fried pohpiahs, peeping out the shelf window and calling out to passing customers..."Buy me!"

There are actually 2 styles of pohpiah. One is the deep fried type and the other the ‘wet’ type. If you order pohpiah at a hawker stall in Penang, you are most likely to get the wet type. Fried pohpiah are harder to find but they should be available at kuih, vegetarian and ‘lor-bak’ stalls or at specialty stalls selling deep fried pohpiah like the one in Air Itam.

The pohpiah stall at Air Itam is located at the market area, right beside the ‘famous’ Air Itam laksa. In my opinion, the deep fried pohpiah there is one of the best in Penang.

Deep fried pohpiah stall at Air Itam...

Pohpiah and her other deep fried friends cooling off on a wire rack...

The pohpiah is served with a specially made chilli sauce and they also have other deep fried stuffs like tofu, lor-bak, fish ball, crab ball and century egg to go with it…

I have a sister who adores deep fried pohpiah. The mere mention of the word pohpiah can send her drooling. I bet she’ll like this post very much!

4 Comments:

Blogger boo_licious said...

Yummy! You are so lucky to live in Penang, food is always good all year round.

Monday, 26 September, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Boo,
I always find it difficult to decide what to eat when I go out for breakfast, lunch, dinner or supper. It is easy to get fat in Penang ; )

Monday, 26 September, 2005  
Blogger Chen said...

I personally prefer the wet or steamed poh piah.. For me, that one is more delicious loh.. and of course, more healthy as well ;)

Thursday, 29 September, 2005  
Blogger glutton rabbit said...

Doc is always thinking about health ;p

Thursday, 29 September, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home